Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike J

Any new reports

6 posts in this topic

We're heading up Sunday so I am trying to formulate a game plan so if anyone would care to share their experience from this past week and weekend I'd appreciate it. Are the mudflats with spinners and cranks my best bet, or is the gravel with leeches still producing?

Mike J

I had some luck out way off the flats in the middle of nowhere and some luck just off 7 mile both in the 34 ft range. I was using leadcore and shad raps. I did try spinners on the edge and off the edge of the 7 mile with no luck. I got about 1 per hour (2/hr if you count the ones that got off on the way up.) Not the hot bite like earlier but still enough action to have a good time. I was pretty lazy. I didn't change raps, colors etc. I probably would have done better if I had. This was with 1 line in as I was alone. It was from noon to about 5.

I have a question regarding leadcore with Shad Raps. I have only used floaters with lead core. The shad raps will dive so did you let out lead core to get you the first 20 feet down and then let the shad rap dive the other 15 feet? or am I confused?? Thanks in advance.

If the lead is bringing it down 20 feet and you use a 20 foot leader you will only get about 5 to 10 feet further on a shad rap that would normally dive to 15 feet. It's about as far as a rap would go at 20 feet or whatever the leader length is. So you would be at about 25 to 30 feet. In 34 feet I use 5 colors of lead and 20 ft leaader of 20# mono with a number 8 shad. I'm not draggin bottom at about 2.5 to 3 mph. I sometimes let out some of the backing line until it just starts to tick bottom. This sometimes triggers the fish if they are on bottom.

Jim

I was out on the flats Monday night and had success late in the evening with leeches. We caught 5 b/t 11:30pm and 12:15am...all around 22". The biggest was 25".

Depends on size & style of shad rap. sr#5 runs about 1-2 ft less than sr#7. Jointed #5 runs a little deeper than sr#7. A jointed #5 adds approx 5' to leadcore depth at 2.5mph. I run a 30' leader of 10/4 fireline. Once I find out the exact depth the plug runs I just use Precision Trolling dive curves to find plugs that have approx same dive curve.