Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Dahitman44

Best hunting bug spray?

Dahitman44

I don't know if you guys have seen the bugs lately but they are NASTY. The worst I have seen, in our area at least.

What do you guys do to fight the bugs and still keep deer or other animals close enough for a shot? Has anyone tried regular bug spay with autum spray cover on it?

How about that spray stuff they make for bow hunters? Does it work?

I have one of those hand-held deals that you put "cells" into. Never used it, but won it at a hunting stag a couple of years ago.

Thoughts?

harvey lee

I handle the bugs with a Bug Tamer bug suit. They do cost a little but the results are great. One could get away with just using the jacket as your pants will work for the bottom. I believe the jacket runs approx $75.00.

Since I have purchased this suit I have not had to use the bug spray and worry about the scent being in the area that I am hunting.

Scoot

I agree with HL's general response of avoiding bug sprays. 1) they stink (I don't care what the ads say), and 2) even if you play the wind correctly and the bug spray smell goes away from the approaching deer, your camo still stinks afterwards (i.e., next time you hunt).

I've been using a thermacell and been happy with it so far this summer. I'm looking forward to using it this fall. I don't care for headnets of any sort, but they certainly have their place.

tealitup

You like the thermacell? I am going to try it out this year bear hunting....

Dahitman44

HL --

Is the suit scent lock?

Dahitman44

Scoot --

So the thermal cells work? I have not tried it but I will if I can find where I put the darn thing.

harvey lee

No. not the one I have. I have used it with only cut-offs on and thats all. One can also dip the jacket and pants in water and it will hel;p keep one cool as the rope material in the material soaks up the moisture. If its cooler out, I will use my scent lock lighter clothes and put the jacket on over all. This suit is very light and cool.

I have heard of the thermal unit and hear it does work but have not tried it yet. By bug suit does fine for me.

Scoot

So far, so good with it. However, I haven't been in the tree stand with it yet, so I can't give you a definite yea or nay on it. After sifting through a few hundred reports of them on archery sites, the conclusion I've reached from other's reports is- 1) wonderful in a ground blind, 2) pretty dang good in the tree stand. Time will tell, I guess.

As HL is suggesting, you can't really go wrong with a good bug suit. Nothing to malfunction or not be as good as advertised (at least not in the way a contraption like a thermacell might).

Dahitman44

scoot--

Might go bug suit and cell. Now I need to find a good deal on one ...

Deitz Dittrich

This has nothing to do with hunting... but the wife and I bought a thermacell for putting next to our hot tub.. I will be bringing it with me for early season hunts for sure.

First let it be known... I am not a trophy hunter.. I love to bowhunt.. If I get one, great, if I dont, no big deal either. So to not have as many bugs will only make me all that much more happier. I will hunt the wind better and be happy!

harvey lee

Whens the Hot Tub party Dietz, maybe a pre season bow session with treats too. I would be there for sure.

Deitz Dittrich

LOL @ Tom... if your ever up nort here.. stop on by.. Please for the love of god, bring a swim suit. I'm not so sure I could handle seing you in your birthday suit!

That themacell does a pretty durn good job of keepin the skeets away! I thought it was a joke, just another gimmick... not so much in my opinon!

Dahitman44

Great info -- thanks. I am looking forward to trying it.

The visual of Harvey in his birthday suit -- not so good. wink.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

harvey lee

I would agree with the suit deal. blush.gif

DUCKJ

Does the thermacell work with deer flys?? They are worse the the skeeters around here.

Dahitman44

Good question -- it does say something about flies on the box -- anyone know????

Scoot

Not positive, but I think it only works for skeets. Ho help on the flies of any kind.