• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Funny what you run into!

I have been reading alot of different posts that all have the same twist. Your out fishing and on or near a spot,(heaven forbid if you put out a marker) and the goofballs pull up onto, into and on top of the spot you are fishing because they see you catch a fish! It is really up to us to be as courteous as we can while informing "them" what they are doing is unethical. Man, it chaps me that people are this way but I guess for the sake of a single fish people are willing to put down an anchor right on top of where you are fishing. I guess it all starts with us! Yes, us! We need to educate the future fisherpeople and boaters as to what is good, ethical behavior. Anyone teach boater education courses? Maybe we need to band together as fisherpeople and start a course via the DNR to educate not on just boater safety but even boater ethics. Kinda like an advanced bowhunter education course. Maybe even to give a discount on insurance because they took a "certified" boaters education course. Seems with todays technology, and a large wallet for toys by the boomers that there are alot of people complaining of the same things. I gave up fishing on my local lake for the most part due to rude boaters and such to seek out a place I could fish in peace. Seems to me, there are more people out and using lakes to recreate then ever before so maybe a mandatory course with ethics involved would be a good step in the right direction. I know we could keep the good conservation officers busy with all of the complaints but maybe we should be proactive and try to get a public course set up before we could recreate. Funny, how a guy can get a 40' boat and never ever have any experience driving it but still go out and take to the water. Maybe I'm way off base here but it might help to change things for our kids. Anyone have any ideas?

Tunrevir~

Good idea. We have the same for firearms, hunting, ATV, cars, etc. For the most part people are good with their boats but, the family new to boating or only get out once or twice a year or the guys who are too clueless for their own good may be in need of the education. The ability to learn to drive, trailer, launch, land, and maintain a boat could save everyone time, money, and frustration. It may even save a few lives. I know I wish I could have had some help when I first operated a boat but like many others had to learn on the job. I bought a four wheeler and the dealer offered a course on driving it but not from my boat dealer. That may become realty with more boats, more large rigs, and faster boats.

Ive taken the mn boaters course, I still dont drive but I keep telling my parents what they did wrong and what they should do........., and I can land the boat much better, hmmmm..... i think the course works! Its much harder than other courses though.

Be careful there ocf - telling your parents what they are doing wrong or should be doing is generally not a good policy for someone who is dependent upon them.... wink.gif At that rate you might never get your license....LOL

Daze Off

please tell us more about this course. I may have my daughters take it when they are ready.

There is a online course that can be taken through the DNR website which all operators must take if they intend to run a boat over a certain HP an I believe it is for 14 years on up but not entirely sure. My original thought line was some type of classroom type course and then an open water test much like firearm safety or snowmobile safety courses.

Tunrevir~

thats what I thought was out there. I like the idea of classroom and hands on too.

Quote:

We need to educate the future fisherpeople and boaters as to what is good, ethical behavior. Anyone teach boater education courses? Maybe we need to band together as fisherpeople and start a course via the DNR to educate not on just boater safety but even boater ethics. Kinda like an advanced bowhunter education course. Maybe even to give a discount on insurance because they took a "certified" boaters education course.

Well, this isn't an ethics course on boating, but on more than 1 thread I've read that they should teach people about boat launch ethics. I actually came across something that does just that, but doesn't teach EVERYTHING IMO.

Trailering and Courtesy on the Boat Ramp

according to this we should not power load. And we should take the time to start and warm up our motor while on the ramp. yeah that will go over real well.

tunrevir mayb u can volunteer for those classes. ur wld make a good teacher.

Matty, I wouldn't mind and would be willing if the chance presented itself. I was taught by my father and mother how to run a boat, I have certification in firearms, advanced and beginner hunter education, snowmobile safety and wouldn't be opposed to teaching a boating safety/ethics course. Just like the boyscouts say, "Be prepared!". Of course, I know I would have some things to learn also but all the better!

Tunrevir~