• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Your #1 Waterfowl ammos.

Just wondering what everyone in here thinks is the best Waterfowl ammunition out there or the brand they trust,carry,have used, is using or will try.

Last year shot the Hevi-Shot loads.

This year i'm gonna try the new Federal Black Clouds FS Steel Waterfowl shots. Been hearing great things about this one.

I've been able to get Winchester 3.5in 3 shot for ducks for $11.00 they have been good the last few years. Picked up some 3.5in Winchester double B at Wal-Mart this winter for $9.00 a box so that is what I'll start with.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I prefer Hevy steel #2 shot for ducks another fav is kent faststeel #3 for ducks. Geese I prefer Winchester supremes BB.

Winchester 3.5" supremes all the way for me. 2's for ducks and BB for geese. I like to shoot the same brand and velocity shells all the time. I think consistency is important when trying to become a good shooter. Pick a quality shell and try and stick with it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well i am going to use Federals Black cloud shells as well and 2's for ducks and BB's for geese.

I'm with hanson. Only difference is I'll use a little smaller load earlier in the season. This is when we get mostly teal and woodies. After a couple weeks I'll switch to #2's.

Federal 2 3/4 inch 2's and 4's. 4's early on and then I switch to all 2's.

kent faststeel 3" BBB for geese

cheap remington shells 2 3/4" #4s for ducks

The last few years I have used winchester supremes with great success, but last year on 2 seperate times I heard the pellets hitting geese at 35-40 yds. max and were not dropping. also had a few more cripples last year then in the past. I know that could a poor shot on my part and/or a bad pattern but I think I will start to shot hevi-steel for geese. I have read in other forums that guys are using hevi steel #2's for geese and love em. that would help out with pattern density.

since hevi-shot broke away from remington, ive been able to find many places in south dakota this summer with the old remington hevi-shot on good discounts. #4's for ducks and B's for geese.

Federal blue box shells are my choice. We tore open a number of different shells this spring while hunting snows. The blue boxes had uniform shot and the wads after being shot were in real good shape.

Kent also had uniform shot........but the wads after being shot looked horrible. There was definetely shot scraping the barrel of the person shooting Kent. They were litterally tore to pieces.

I was shooting some Winchester X-perts that I got dirt cheap. I'll never shoot those again unless birds are within 20 yds. Looking at the shot is like looking at the moon. Craters everywhere, it was unreal they even sell the stuff looking like that.

Quote:

I was shooting some Winchester X-perts that I got dirt cheap. I'll never shoot those again unless birds are within 20 yds. Looking at the shot is like looking at the moon. Craters everywhere, it was unreal they even sell the stuff looking like that.

I shot that as well for awhile and my shooting sucked with it. You can blame it on the shooter but I tend to think I wasn't "that" bad of a shot. So whether it was me or the shells, I didn't have much confidence in my shooting with those loads in the gun.

Well, being a college kid on a budget I demand something that patterns well and hits hard, but doesn't damage the pocket book. That's why I have been shooting Federal Speed Shock. 3" BB for Honkers, and 3" #2 for ducks. I shoot through a Carlson Choke tube in my Browning BPS, mostly modified, but on certain occasions I switch to Full.

I have shot all brand with some success, but the Federal stuff patterned better in my gun last year when I tested my pattern.

Kent faststeel whatever size needed for the specific job... and winchester has not given me any problems either...

Kent fasteel #2 is all I will ever shoot. I have been shooting it basically ever since it came out. I love that stuff. I tried Winchester expert and you would probably kill more birds if you threw the whole shell at em. Bad stuff.

I like Winchester Supremes! 3" BB's for range honkers and snows and 2's for decoying honkers. Ducks I will go with X-perts and Drylok 2's for big water divers, 4's for early season puddlers, and 2's & 3's on field mallards. I generally try to get the 3" in all the shells and look for something 1 1/4oz or higher just to have that extra umph!! Seems to "Stone Cold" them rather than crippling.

Another vote for Fasteel, I love that stuff. Might try a box of Black Cloud just for something different, but a case of Kent is always on the top of my list when it's time to go shopping.

Fast Steel works fine for me; the Heavy Steel - well I can not hit the broadside of a barn if I am standing in it. Also, it seems that shooting Heavy Steel with my Moseberg PUMP results in a jam - the shell will not fully dislodge. Weird.

With my Berretta it just does not pattern right. I miss the Tungston-Iron shells from Federal - I could not miss with those.

My choice is Winchester X-perts 3 1/2" #2 for ducks and BB for geese. I have also shot Kents, those are a good shell also. I will never buy federals again!

Any one try Estate? I've had good luck with them, and just bought a case of #4 for ducks, and go BB with geese.

I buy Estates for dove hunting and have been pleased

I have been a Winchester guy for many years. You can't beat the supremes but they are spendy. I tried the 3.5 experts and couldn't figure out why nothing was dropping. Then I shot a cripple on the water. Those loads had the worst blown pattern I have ever seen. I tried a few more to be sure. I sent them back to Winchester and they agreed they were bad and sent me a new case of different loads. Now I always pattern my gun when trying new loads.

My Ben SBE2 shoots 3.5 fed #3 the best with a mod. choke. Good solid 40yd pattern and the 3.5 does make a nice shot string for pass shooting.

I used to only shoot Winchester #2 drylocks for ducks. Had great succes until they jumped up the price. I've shot Kent FastSteel since and have been pleased. Xperts are straight up junk. We had some leftovers with them and did a test. One guy shot normal DryLocks the other Xpert. The guy using the Drylocks always did better. I finally burned up the last of those Xperts on cripples and they struggled at that.

Fiocchi 3 1/2inch 1525fps or kent fast steel 1550 with the patternmaster choke tube. I would never leave home without the patternmaster for ducks and geese.

Depends on the gun. It makes a HECK of a difference. I've patterned most everything bismuth,faststeel,xperts,highvelocityexperts,drylocks,federals,kentmatrix,HD,etc. and each gun is different. Often the High Velocity loads have terrible patterns especially the experts. Some loads had holes bigger than your hand every shot That said my BPS loves the old expert 2's 1 1/4oz 1325fps extremely tight patterns to 40 yd.s the ducks either dead or I missed and after 4 cases trust me I know too bad you can't get them any more, the 870 likes federal 2's and BB's, the new Nova I won throws Kent Matrix real nice. I've shot boxes of shells at paper with choke after choke and it's a real eye opener I don't advise any shell for anyone they NEED TO FIND OUT FOR THEMSELVES what choke and shell combination works for each gun they own.