• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Am I out of touch with modern fishing, or am I right that.....

he looked like an (Contact Us Please)???

So, I'm fishing Osakis at sunrise, in a well known hotspot. As the sun came up, the boats started to move in. About as normal as things get.

About a dozen boats are anchored in this area fishing, when all of the sudden this low rumble is heard. I turn around to see a 2020 Warrior boat moving in at low speed.

I didn't think much of it until they pulled up and anchored off to my right in front of me. I looked over at the boat to notice it had 4 motors!!! I busted out laughing. A 300hp main motor, an 8hp gas kicker, a Vantage E-trolling motor, and a big bow mount, I couldn't see which one, but I would guess the top of the line.

Now, what is the point??? Obviously, becouse the boat is way over powered with the main motor, trolling with it is not likely going to happen. So why go with a main motor so big all it does is move the boat, then install 2 transom mount trolling motors???? About the only thing I got from seeing that was, seeing a sadly insecure person trying to compensate by loading the boat with "toy's".

I have a Vantage trolling motor on my boat becouse I wanted electric not gas as my trolling motor. The motor has far exceeded my needs/want's. So, what's the point??? Help me see the light. How is it right to have an 8hp gas kicker motor and an 80 or 101lb thrust trolling motor???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear

• pfluemis

• PerchJerker

• Muddog

I can't agree more! People have WAY, WAY too much money these days. It's how the "Pro's" roll, so "gotta be like the Pro's" right? tongue.gif

300hp is so unecessary. What do ya need that big of an engine for anyway? Anything over 100 seems a pretty excessive to me (aside from Lake Superior boats)

An electric transom mount isn't going to be able to pull cranks/spinners all day in any water that has more than a little chop, so I can see why the smaller 8HP engine is there and that's not uncommon at all on the bigger boats. But, it's not common to have an electric along side of it, although I've seen them out there. I suppose some like to be able to backtroll with the electric and keep it a little more quiet. I'm guessing the 8HP was connected directly to the large motor so it couldn't be used as a tiller to backtroll either. Who knows. I'd agree it's a little excessive.

If you have the money and it isn't an issue, then load it up! Smoke'm if ya got'm. cool.gif

Funny you should bring this up. I had a similar mystifying experience a couple of weeks ago. It was odd that it had multiple different size gas engines and a trolling motor.

One interesting thing sort of related to this was when I was fishing on a lake where a tournament was being held. I thought there was a hydrofoil race in progress because of the high roostertails from the boats. Kinda cool though.

Quote:

Funny you should bring this up. I had a similar mystifying experience a couple of weeks ago. It was odd that it had multiple different size gas engines and a trolling motor.

One interesting thing sort of related to this was when I was fishing on a lake where a tournament was being held. I thought there was a hydrofoil race in progress because of the high roostertails from the boats. Kinda cool though.

I didn't even bring up the boat I seen later in the day. It was an older plain old Alumacraft 16' fishing boat with a 35hp main motor, 8hp kicker, and some type of giant electric trolling motor...all on the transom. True redneck boat. That boat had so much bow lift, it had to be down right scarry to drive against the wind.

I used to have a boat with 2 gas motors and 2 electric motors. My current boat has 2 gas motors and 1 electric motor. I got those boats because they were what I wanted and they fit the way my family and I fish and use the boat. To each his own.

Quote:

About the only thing I got from seeing that was, seeing a sadly insecure person trying to compensate by loading the boat with "toy's"

Who are you to judge someone else? Don't you have better things to worry about than how big someone's boat is, how many motors they have on it, and how big they are???

Really, this guy could fish huge systems of water, tournaments, etc.

300 horses is not "over powered" with all that weight, but I do think it could be fun.

I'd love to take that bad boy for a drive.

I would have to agree with PerchJerker. Everyone has different tastes and needs. I never could see why someone needed a large, fully rigged boat until I fished out of one. All I can say is it is incredible. I could never fault anyone for having a rig like that. I would if I could.

If they've got that kind of money and they are NOT a pro, then let the posers be posers. If he was a pro, then maybe he wanted to go fishing somewhere near home.

At least he motored in slow and quiet, didn't throw his weight around or start bragging about the huge fish he usually catches. It sounds like this guys only crime is creating some sort or upchuck reflex or maybe a bit of jealousy.

If you've ever tried drift fishing in high winds sometimes 2 trolling motors and socks are what it takes. Almost every "walleye boat" I've ever seen has a kicker in the range of 7.5-15hp and a bow mount for sure.

The fire dept I'm on has a 20ft Lake Assualt boat that I would guess weighs less than a decked out Warrior, and that thing is a tank with a 135hp 4stroke. I feel like a loon trying to take off. You gotta make a running start across the lake and circle back to get on plane. Big boats need big motors, especially if you're doing big water.

I agree with all of you. How's that for openers?

On the one hand, yeah when I see some of these excessive rigs I can only shrug my shoulders but then, does it really matter? Who am I to pass judgment?

I'm more than happy with the rig I have and how I've got it outfitted. I have a 16 footer with a Lowrance X-51 on the console and X-67C on the bow, 90hp 2-cycle on the stern and a 40pd electric on the bow. Sure, there are times when it would be nice to have more power up front but that's when I put drifting into play, anchoring, or even trolling with the 90, which it can do down to 1.5mph forward and 1mph in reverse believe it or not.

What or who can determine what is appropriate? The guy sitting in his canoe may look at me and shrug his shoulders too. I've been there, moved up to a 12' with 7.5hp then to a 16' Rebel with a 40hp and finally to where I'm at today. One thing for sure, in each of these phases I was perfectly happy with what I had at the time.

To each his own I guess.

Bob

No. You are not out of touch. It is funnie. You left out the good part, did he catch a fish?

"I've caught more fish than you've lied about, Gustafson!" The same holds true for most older boats. The boat doesn't make the fisherman. To each his own. A $60K+ Warrior has it's place. So does a canoe. Unless I'm trying to fish Mille Lacs in a hurricane, I'll take my '82 Alumacraft over anything out there. Would be fun to rip around with 300 HP though.

TC

I say good for who ever was the owner. It sounds like he bought the boat he wanted and rigged it with the equipment he wanted. Who cares if it was a new $60,000 Warrior or a used $6000 Alumacraft.

what is the speed limit on lakes ?unless its 70mph a 300hp motor seems like over kill.

300 HP, I think that is good year or two out for me.

I know of the people this post was started about, but if a guy can get that kind of equipment! Go all out!

Reliability is key. Tournament or not! It sucks to get stranded out on river or lake. Buy new and as big as you can afford. The little time we get to fish, time is of the essence. Get their fast and fish longer.

That’s the way baby!!!!!!!

Quote:

I can't agree more! People have WAY, WAY too much money these days. It's how the "Pro's" roll, so "gotta be like the Pro's" right?
tongue.gif

Don't forget about the advertisemwnts plastered along the sides of many of these boats. It's almost like a marine NASCAR circuit sometimes . . . .just replace the trophy wives with decked out boat trailers instead!

It takes all kinds I guess. Most rigs are practical but 300HP is insane. I see some boats scream across the lake and am glad I am not in thier way. I may upgrade in a few years so the kids can go tubing and such, but Ill defeinetly keep my 16 footer because it is practical for many small lakes and getting close to shore.

What does it take to control these big rigs anyway i assume they take some practice.

You may need to get out fishing more often.

It's real common to have a big main motor along with a T8, Vantage and of course a bow mount.

Somes guys will complain about anything.... shocked.gif

There is no speed limit on water unless it is marked otherwise (No Wake Zone)

Quote:

You may need to get out fishing more often.

It's real common to have a big main motor along with a T8, Vantage and of course a bow mount.

Somes guys will complain about anything....
shocked.gif

Here, Here!

Tell ya what, when I am 10+ miles out on Lake Superior and you can see a front rolling over the hill I am wishing I had more than 200HP, my 9.9 works great for great lakes trolling as trolling for 8 hours on the main motor gets expensive and well, batteries won't last that long, and who can beat a Minn Kota Maxxum on the bow for casting for inland bass or stealth trolling walleyes. As for 2 electrics? That would have been huge this spring during the Grand Slam when I had to use buckets to control my boat in 20+ mph winds.

It all depends on the angler and what he is fishing for, you have your style and well, so does everyone else!

adding to what cheffrey said, he spends most of his time on large bodies of water, and that's why he owns the boat he does. But is one expected to buy a smaller boat or take a couple of the motors off because they want to fish a small lake that's close to home? I've gotten a lot of funny looks in that 22.5 footer in some smaller lakes, but we always have a great time!

Do you guys maybe think fishing was this guys biggest passion in life? I guess I tend to believe it was. We all have passions and priorities and spend our hard earned cash on them differently, and obviously spend in excess as well. Like someone else mentioned, different strokes for different folks.

Duck hunting, goose hunting, deer hunting, ice fishing, 4 wheeling, etc... these are all activities that you can do with very minimal investment, or with as much money as you could dream.

What about the snow goose hunters who are running 20' enclosed trailers stuffed full of fully flocked full body dekes? Posers or extremely passionate and dedicated to their sport?

Everyone has their priorities, and we all spend our money differently. I wouldn't judge.

I wish I had the kind of rig yous guys are talking about. Heck, I wish I had a boat with a motor that was put together and ran!!! Ya, I got boat envy. grin.gif

To each their own.

A boat rigged to the max is no different than a car that someone puts a lot of time and money into to look perform and sound awesome. Like I said it takes all kinds.

And no you do not need a smal boat on small lakes but if I got a smaller boat why not use it. I do get some comments from the inlaws when they see the canoe duckboat fishing boat and fishouse in the yard and do not understand.

Man I would die for a rig like you described. I am no pro fisherman, but I think it would still be sweet to drive that boat at least once. Overkill, maybe, but why not do it if you can afford it. Who cares if he can catch fish or not, maybe the guy just loves his boat and loves to fish. I would bet he is a decent guy like a lot of us here. I always said that when I get my new boat I am going to put the biggest motor it can handle so that I can never say "man it would be nice to have just a little more power". I am sure that is what he did as well.

I really don't know what's wrong with a guy buying a $50-60,000 boat. If they want to write a check or finance it, it's their choice. People have passions and hobbies and if they choose to want the very best or a very nice fishing boat - what's wrong with that? The boat and motor manufactures are doing their job and staying afloat by getting us to dream big and making it the fisherman's mind-set that these tools will help him become a better fisherman.

Also, there's obviously nothing wrong in fishing with what you have or need, as long as it (safely) gets you on the water. Most of us are somewhere in the middle . . .

I dont see a problem with it, the guy was respecting everyone, came in slow and fished. Now if he would have flew in at 70 mph or if he was just flying around this small lake and not respecting anyone. That would be the issue I would have. I could care less if this guy had to much money and spent $100k on a boat, or if he put a second mortgage on his house to impress his friends. As long as he was respecting me, I wouldnt have any lack of respect for him.

Needed nope, but if I had the ching to blow on it, I would!

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't even bring up the boat I seen later in the day. It was an older plain old Alumacraft 16' fishing boat with a 35hp main motor, 8hp kicker, and some type of giant electric trolling motor...all on the transom. True redneck boat. That boat had so much bow lift, it had to be down right scarry to drive against the wind.

I've done this. My late father's S16 Lund (not a bow mount style boat) was rigged with a kicker motor mount bracket. He liked the idea of a spare when down-rigging on Lake Superior.

A few years ago I coughed out some cash for a cabin on Birch Lake near Ely. I used the S16 with a 25HP, 6HP kicker, and my trolling motor, all on the back. My brother had told me the 25 hp wasn't running well. I wasn't going to waste all that cash with engine trouble for three days, nor get stuck on the far side of that big lake with a family of five. The trolling motor came in handy when we switched to fishing crappies in the shallows...Sure, it was a little crowded back there.

A guy with 10 motors on his boat, might be the greatest guy in the world...and that's all that really matters. wink.gif

I just wish I had the $$$$ for a Warrior with 3 or 4 motors and a 300 HP to boot. grin.gif