Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFNER

Free Chocolate Lab

4 posts in this topic

My family and I are heartbroken, I have a 6yr old spayed female, NO health probloms,all shots,took 1st place in obedience at Radisson Kennels,house trained. She HATES bicycles and motorcycles and charges after them. I live in a neighborhood with lots of traffic and would love to give her a loving home in the country? I can be contacted at www.jcschempf@peoplepc.com Thanks frown.gif

Is she attacking them, or just chasing? If she is not attacking/biting it's probably something you can train out of her fairly quickly(especially if she catches on quick on OB)....just a thought. This does not seem like a situation that would require having to get rid of a dog if the dog means that much to you. BUT....I don't know all the circumstances and will not judge based on that.

A check cord/prong collar or E-collar might be useful in this training once properly introduced. I would think it would be handled like any other OB issue in that the dog should NOT be allowed to chase.

If there is anything we can help with feel free to ask.

Have you tried training her NOT to chase vehicles?

It might be too late for this trick, but I'll share it with you anyway. Fill a balloon with hot water, ride your bike down the road and when she chases you, slam the balloon down on her head. It doesn't hurt the dog, but the warm water will make her think she's bleeding. After a few times, she will associate chasing bikes with danger. This worked for one of our dogs we had when I was a child. Who knows?? If she is a quick learner, it might work.

Good Luck!

Not trying to be a jerk, but why is it assummed that people who live in the country like to take pets with behavioral problems and take on the legal liability? Keep the dog on a leash when its outside, train it and exercise it. Problem should be fixable as it is never to late to train a dog. There are bikes, motorcycles, atv, snowmobiles and all type of other things for her to charge in the country too.