Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridgerunnr

Ely,Babbit ,Vermillion area report

4 posts in this topic

Spent all last week fishing hard. The Walleye were hittin good on trolling with crawler rigs and at times leeches on a slip bobber. Smallie action was hit or miss, crappies did not cooperate at all..hundreds on graph and no action on Birch lake..odd...Musky action was good on Vermillion. Went out one day only for them and had 4 follows and one in the boat at 41 inches. Not bad for never being on Vermillion before. Other than the Musky guide in the boat that kept cuttin us off at every turn..what a jerk,,I undertand he is gettin paid but what part of "public water' doesn't he get?

We kept our distance and went beyond beibng polite..we were even in that bay first! As we get older we get smarter..some years ago he would have been dodging treble hooks...Not worth is tho. We just moved to a different area. Next couple days we managed to slam a pile of good sized blue gills, the kids had blast with those

I was on Birch all week. Fishing was awful. Couldn't get much of anything to bite except the sunnies and small perch. I was able to wrangle a nice little piggy the first night just as the sun was going down. Fish released successfully.

BirchSmallie2.jpg

BirchSmallie1.jpg

BirchSmallie3.jpg

Ridgerunnr,

Thanks for posting. Are the Muskies gettin fired up on Vermilion? I would like to fish the lake at least once a year. Should next weekend be my time?

What kinda baits are best on that lake and what colors? I'd fish all day for 4 follows smile.gif

Fish the bays with good vegetation..even better if you can find areas with vegetation and large rocks . They really like the cover and shaed of the weeds and big rocks under water. Buchertails and buck tails seemed to work fine. Any noisy top water seemed to work as well. The late evening bite seemed to be the best with red or orange being the color of choice.