Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stewfish

night fishing

9 posts in this topic

I am coming to the willmar area this next weekend and plan on taking the boat with me. Any suggestions on an area lake, I might just end up spending the entire night on the lake so something with cats would be a plus. Thanks for any info.

For cats you'd have to go to Foot Lake,Willmar Lake or Big Kandi,Elizabeth. Willmar would be my choice lots a structure for eyes and good cat pop. cool.gif

If you want cats on foot lake fish off shore from ella ave there is a small culvert there use a phelps floater and a crawler the later the better 2-4am lots of 5 to 10 pound channels. Dont bother fishing eyes out there pop is way down. I would go out to green and pull #5 shadraps out on the edge of the flats I was out there fri night lots of fish nothing big but a few 15 inchers lots of 12 inchers and tons of bass and sunfish. yeah the sunfish are hammering the shadraps? good luck.

If you are looking for a great cat lake, I know one bit its nw of Benson

Masher could ya let me know what lake?If you'd rather email my add. is in profile.Thanks cool.gif

Sparcebag, if Willmar lake has walleyes and cats in it. Why don't guys fish it. I don't see any boats on it.

I dont know why others dont,I do for cats from shore but I do prefer the Mn.river for cats cause of flathead pop.And at night I do get eyes when cattin willmar from the park.I live on Diamond and get all the eyes I want here,Why waste gas!

Where on diamond do you live. I had a uncle that lived accross from dogfish bay.

Jiggin;I live in dogfish bay,the slew. smile.gifIts good for spring crappie,ducks&chiggers, June spawin carp on the arrow. cool.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• curt quesnell
      What a great day jigging out in the mud. Little or no wind all day and it was pretty warm but fish were active, biting and large. A big change came yesterday on my close by spots that threw me for a loop but the fish a few miles away seem unphased. I will say it again a great day!
    • monstermoose78
      Thanks for the advice Dave  I dont let Finn fetch on check cord any more. I only used it when he was a pup
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      There are public beaches at both Hoodoo Point in Tower and McKinley Park in Soudan. Cliff
    • leech~~
      In the summer they seem to be about 20' feet down over 50'-80' feet of water. We trolled small raps with what ever would get it down there. I also had down riggers to use.  You could try some deep hook and slip bobbers with a worm in some of the deeper bays to see if they will take it?  Good luck.
    • MinDak Hunter
      I have a bait/rigging question. The kids and I were out on Big Watab chasing a suntan and when I told them that the lake has trout they wanted to try for them but I mostly fish sunnies and crappies. What would I need to get to fish for trout out there? Looking back in the forums I see that some guys use leadcore (I'm not buying new rod/reels) and some use bobbers. Any advice on a common bobber set up? Also, I have an "active" 10 year old so it seems that jigging works best to keep him busy, any advice on jigging for trout?
    • fishingtime13
      Update! Water is way down! But I was able to get a smallmouth with a topwater plug.  And a catfish broke my leader off a  worm, was very confused. Going again tomorrow     
    • otterman91105
      Thanks for the tips guys i ended up buying 1/4. Rocks are tuff to fish. I always lose a few jigs
    • delcecchi
      Vermilion is less than 20 miles... Or eagle nest 3 (and 1 and 2) are right next door.   You might check them out.
    • rundrave
      Love seeing guys out training dogs but you can really do  some serious damage to your dogs neck if it runs hard for a long distance before being stopped suddenly when the check cord is attached to a collar. I would suggest a harness instead that has attachment at the back that you can clip your check cord to. It will also flow off the back and less likely to get tangled up in the legs and belly which can also be dangerous especially when in the water.   It doesnt look deep where you are but you never know whats under the water that could snag your check cord. Sorry dont mean to preach but I have seen it first hand where a dog has been seriously injured from this. I know the prey drive and hard charge these dogs have, but you got to keep them safe.   good luck
    • Chill62
      Can you keep smallies from the Ottertail?  Thought there was a restriction on them in there.