Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary Burton

Elephant Lake

16 posts in this topic

Just got back from our annual trip to Elephant Lake. The bite was on early and late due to the very bright days with very little chop due to the light winds. From a numbers standpoint this was one of our best trips in many years. We released the bigger Walleyes to help with future numbers. We caught almost all of our Walleyes Lindy rigging with crawlers. Only a few came on leeches. The Crappie action was slow, but we did pick a few in deeper water. Of course, we caught lots of Smallmouth. We also picked up a few smaller Northern which was a good sign. Maybe they will continue to flourish and weed out some of the smaller bass. The Bluegill action was excellent in both numbers and size.

We continue to be impressed with the improvements that Steve and Carla are making at Melgeorge's. The new ramp is fantastic! Our cabin was recently completely renovated and included satellite television which our girls loved. This is a great family resort. You can't beat the price and hospitality. We've been to a lot of resorts in Minnesota and none compare to the friendly atmosphere at Melgeorge's.

If you want to take young kids fishing Elephant Lake is the place to go. Of course, we older kids like it too!

Is this resort under new ownership ? my wife and went a few years back and thought it was one of the worst resorts we have ever been to

Jighead,

Last year, Ted Melgeorge sold off each individual cabin and now the Resort is a Common Interest Community (although it is still being operated under the name Melgeorges Resort). Just about all of the original cabins have been renovated by their new owners and there are two new cabins (I own one). Ted's daughter Carla and son-in-law (Steve) purchased the Lodge and they are operating as rental agents for the cabin owners. The CIC owners, together with the help of Steve and Carla, have made numerous improvements to the Resort, including a new boat ramp, new fish house, and new docks. The feedback we are receiving from our rentals this year has been really positive.

Stayed in Tamaracks place last week. WOW! If I tell the wife about that cabin she will want to go with me everytime! shocked.gif It is beautifull!!! Hope none of those rocks come tumbling down in a big rain! frown.gif Nice job on the cabin. The upgrade on the launch was nice also.

The only thing it could possibly need is 2 or 3 garbage containers near the garage so we could easily seperate the garbage /recycleables.

Quote:

Stayed in Tamaracks place last week. WOW! If I tell the wife about that cabin she will want to go with me everytime!
shocked.gif
It is beautifull!!! Hope none of those rocks come tumbling down in a big rain!
frown.gif
Nice job on the cabin. The upgrade on the launch was nice also.

The only thing it could possibly need is 2 or 3 garbage containers near the garage so we could easily seperate the garbage /recycleables.

Thanks Ron. We are glad you liked the cabin. I mentioned something to Steve and Carla about the recycables before and Carla said something about needing a special dumpster to handle them. I'll check again.

We received a call from Steve the other night and he said that our cabin was a little warm inside and thought we might have to put in another window A/C unit. What did you think?

How was the fishing? Were the spots I recommended still hopping?

It may cool it off a little more but the one that was in there did a decent job during the heat wave. It was 90* and humid for a couple of the days we were there. It felt good when we entered the cabin.

Fishing was good. We are primarily artificial bait fishermen. The northerns have really taken off. Good times!

Been fishing Elephant for about 53 years. This year was the first time I have been there for opening in about 20 years and couldn't believe that mostly pan fishermen were there. We and most others went for eyes in past years. While we always caught a fair number of crappies and bluegills trolling, we always considered it a walleye lake. With the 40 inch minimum on northerns they seem to be coming back strong.

Bill

Quote:

Been fishing Elephant for about 53 years. This year was the first time I have been there for opening in about 20 years and couldn't believe that mostly pan fishermen were there. We and most others went for eyes in past years. While we always caught a fair number of crappies and bluegills trolling, we always considered it a walleye lake. With the 40 inch minimum on northerns they seem to be coming back strong.

Bill

The Pike are definitely coming on. My buddy caught a 40 incher July 4 week. Too bad it also caught him and sent him to the hospital with 22 stitches in the thumb!

We also just heard from another friend who stayed in our cabin last week. He said the fishing was excellent and he caught and released a 28 inch walleye.

Quote:

Been fishing Elephant for about 53 years!

Holy cow! How old are you?

Ron, I'm only 67... Figure I have at least 30 more years to fish.

I noted that post showing concern that your wife might like the cabin. For me that is a good thing.... go once with the guys, then with her, then the guys, then her... get in twice as much fishing. Actually my wife likes casting and as long as she is catching something, even small smallies, she is happy. She doesn't have strong wrists so if she hooks up with anything over 4 lbs, I usually get to help.

Swim

We go twice a year.3 times maybe this year! tongue.gif

Will be at Elephant the first two weeks of September, maybe we'll see you.

Swim

hello going up to elephant lake this thurday the 24 till mon.staying at the lodge melgeorge,can anybody give me some starting points for walleye, ive been to the lake before and found the crappie spots, but im ify on the walleye.

I went there a few years ago, and spent time marking up a map before I got there with possible locations good locations. When we got there, Melgeorge's had their own maps - and listed areas to try. Their maps pretty much coincided with mine, and we caught fish.

We were there early/mid September, and I remember most people at the resort were fishing the point in front of the bay, east of the island. We avoided the crowds, and ventured south. We caught eyes on the east shoreline, and down off the of a point near the south end. Lot of rocks down there, and I left a lot of tackle in Elephant Lake! We caught fish though, and bigger than what we caught in other areas of the lake.

thanks for the re. i will try those spots. i will post fishing report when i get back.

Just back from Melgeorges at Elephant. Weather was changeable last week and fishing was up and down. Catch and release smalley casting was great fun with the largest a little over 4 lbs. Eyes were spotty when lindy rigging but picked up large crappie and blues. Fish finder showed large fish laying on the bottom in 20-22 feet of water and caught one eye (5.5#) that depth off North side of island. On days with barometer falling, caught several 1 1/2 to 2# eyes in 10-14 feet of water between reeds and rock piles. No luck last week fishing our usual 5-8 feet depth on sandy bottoms.