Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meathunter

boat cover

8 posts in this topic

I had a custom cover made for my boat 4 years ago and now i have what i think is mildew little black spot apearing on this. Does anyone know how to get rid of this and also how to protect this from happening again. My boat sits outside all summer and storing inside is not an option.

I had the same spots mildew?mold,I stayed away from the bleach which I know will work,So I used antibacterial soap (dish soap)scrub brush,then I sprayed it with fabric treatment,to water repel it seemed to work,I did it last spring,but I wont really know till next spring,it seems to show up in spring after weather warms. cool.gif

Cabelas has a good vinyl cleaner and I would bet any boat or sport store would carry one.

Mold cannot grow without water, but the little buggers don't need much. To prevent mold from occuring you have to keep the cover as dry as possible. When you get home after an outing don't just park the rig and leave it. Remove the cover and hang it up to dry. Let the boat dry out before recovering. If you store the boat outside, keep water from pooling on top of the cover. Most of time mold will form on seams because water becomes trapped. A good vinyl cover will have the seams sewed on the downwater side, like a roof shingle.

This advice goes for any outdoor gear like rainsuits, tents, tarps, etc.

No water - no mold.

What kind of material is your cover?Poly,canvas or other?c63

Do a search for a product named Amazing Roll-Off. It's a great water activated cleaner that was developed for sailboat sails. Wet down the area to be cleaned spray on the Roll-Off let it work for about 5 minutes, scrub lightly witha brush and rinse. It also leaves a mild protector on the surface after rinsed.

Why do you stay away from the bleach treatment? I was thinking about trying it on a canvas cover but have not after reading your comment.

Thanks for the help,

Iceseeker

ttt...

I think products containing bleach will discolor the canvas, just like it does on clothes