Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

Change of Scenery...

3 posts in this topic

Time to mix it up, right? I have been spending the last few outings targeting pan fish but also firing after some 'eyes in the same location. The pan fish bite has been nuts while the walleyes have showed their face only from time to time. Well, tonight, we got so wrapped up in catching bull 'gills, I forgot about the 'eyes. grin.gif I know, I know...

Targeting pan fish this time of year is typically not a slam dunk. But, with some persistence, you can really have a ball. The pattern for my boat seems to be fishing in and around patches of grass in the sand in 4 - 6' of water. Mud and/or gravel bottoms are holding fish but just not the size or numbers that the sand is right now. The sand and grass is holding a lot of bait fish right now, so that is certainly helping things along. The area that I have been fishing as of late is just chalked full of very small perch. These big 'gills are at their very own "ol' country buffet". Two things have really stuck out while working on this pattern. 1) For the better quality, fishing on or as tight to the bottom as possible has been important. Tonight, we had our floats set so they were sitting at about a 45-degree angle and then we drug them back towards the boat, 2) Color has played a big role. In this case, we are matching the hatch, so orange has ruled the roost being the area is just flooded with perch.

We have had some absolute bulls this past week but tonight, for whatever reason, the numbers came along with the quality more than I have seen in quite awhile. Fishing pushing on the 10" mark were not uncommon. Enjoy a few photos from the outing.

Fish ON!

gills001vz4.jpg

10", right on the (Contact Us Please). grin.gif

gills002gd7.jpg

Another bull. Snort, snort.

gills004jm0.jpg

Some of our better fish from the evening.

gills003ev7.jpg

A lot of people fish many years and never catch a 10"er.

Congrats!

Thanks dude but I didn't catch it. One of my passengers did. However, I do have a couple 10+"ers under my belt. smirk.gif