• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fogging an outboard

Can anyone tell me what it means to "fog a motor" I am looking at maybe getting a salvage boat and the motor was submerged. It has been fogged and compression tested and runs ok. Just don't know what they mean by "fogging".

Thanks for any help.

Simply put it is spraying the cylinders (usually thru the spark plug holes) with a rust preventative while rotating the flywheel.

While the motor is idling, oil is sprayed into the intake untill the motor quits running. You can buy fogging oil at just about any parts store in a aerisol spray can.

Two strokes are usually fogged while the engine is running, by spraying oil through the carb, to lubricate the engines internal parts which are normally lubricated by the fuel oil mix. Four strokes are fogged by the oil squirted through the spark plug hole to lube the combustion area since the bearings and crank are lubed by the oil in the sump of the engine.

A motor should be fogged before long term storage. With your motor since it has been submerged, I would look it over entirely making sure nothing is damaged, there is new gear lube in the lower unit and if it is a 4 stroke new oil in the crankcase, also check the spark plugs making sure they are not fouled. Other than that put new gas in it and start it up. It will smoke a little bit more than normal for a few minutes but that will go away.

Has the motor been "fogged" or "pickled"

Fogged is as described, but since you have to run the motor to do it the damage will occur, besides if submerged it will not run, they probably just fogged the cylinders... not good

Pickled, the motor gets filled with light oil (usually diesel) and kept preserved this way to displace moisture from it until further repair can be made

I any way I would stay away from a motor that has been submerged. The electrical and electronic parts will be damaged.

Also rod, pin, and crank bearings will get pitted and damaged, motor will last very little.

I tried myself more than once and never got very far.

Practically if you can buy rig at boat price only you will get a free "parts" motor but don't count on it as usable or durable.