Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bgreen82

GPS?

5 posts in this topic

i didnt know where to post this, so the metro area is always my go to thread as it seems very busy. i know matt johnson has had a post about different flashers in the winter months, describing different features, advantages and disadvantages of the different units. i was wondering if anyone with knowledge could try to do the same with gps units. i have been looking at some but am not sure exactly what i am going to need.

are you gonna be using it for mostly fishing? do you want color? do you want the lakemaster or navionics chip? what is your price range?

ask yourself all of those questions and compare the features at the store while plaing with them in your hand. Lowrance has some of the best GPS out there IMHO. I have the black and white H2O and i think it blows my buddies Garmin Map 76s out of the water. But there are so many GPS units out there that you really have to go and play with them to decide which one you want. If you go to Lowrance's website you can download an emulator and play with all their different GPS units on your computer.

I got a color H2O and it's awsome. lakemaster chips are far better than Navionics in my eyes.

I work at Dick's in Burnsville. We mainly have Garmin and Lowrance GPS units. I personally have the H2O B&W unit with the Lakemaster chip. For price, ease of use, etc., get the H2O. A Garmin unit that uses chips is more expensive, many of their units require downloading mapping software, and downlaoding the maps into your unit from your pc. For the cost of the color H2O you can get a non-color unit AND the lakemaster chip, retail about $270. This should be more telling than anything; we are sold out of all our Lowrance units, even the display models, while we have stacks of the Garmin units in house.

on a budget the h20 and h20c are great units, have had mine for a while and love it. The only thing about it is that u rarely get accuracy better than 20 feet. While the 332c that I have on the boat is almost always locked onto waas and 8 feet or better accuracy. roughly 250 versus 650. to check the accuracy of your h20 just page through and it will give u (epe) estimated postion error. Have found ice fishing 2 different units being 60 to 70 feet total distance away from same waypoint. 30 to 35 feet each. like i say if money is the issue get the handheld first then move up from there. good luck