Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walli1

July 21 & 22

13 posts in this topic

Today was another great day to be on the water, The eyes were bitting real well and the saugers were trying to keep up, ended the morning with 5 nice walleyes and through many small ones back along with 2 nice releasers that I caught minutes apart First one a 21 1/2 inch walleye

PICT0157.jpg

Then in a matter of minutes a 22 inch sauger NICE!! PICT0155.jpg

What A great day!!! cool.gif

Boy today was really different, thought I found the same school of fish I was working yesterday but it turned out to be for the most part small ones ended up with 2, no big ones just two decent ones but boated at least 10, sure went though the crawlers though!

I was out there yesterday and got skunked for the first time this year. Last weekend I could only find sauger, and now this! Walli1, I read your report and it was the total opposite as mine. I caught 3 small rock bass and 1 drum. 0 walleye and 0 sauger! Maybe you could give me some advise? Here's what I tried yesterday.

I fished almost the entire Wis. side, from the Bluffs down to Prescott and a few spots on the Mn. side between there. I concentrated on depths from 18-28 fow, but I did search deeper and shallower. I launched at about 6am. and was pounded off the river by 2:30pm. I started out with a spinner rig (green and yellow w/copper blade) and a 3/8 oz. weight, tipped with a nightcrawler. I trolled it at a quick pace with my troller. I then switched to a 2 1/2 oz. bottom bouncer with the same spinner set-up. Zero. Then I swiched to a leech on the end, zero. I then trolled an assortment of cranks and sticks w/ a bottom bouncer. I trolled from 1-2 mph with my big motor, Zero. Oh, I did catch a nice piece of a log with mussels all over it. Then I swiched back to a spinner crawler harness (red beads, silver blade) and 3/8 oz. weight. I tried areas that I had seen fish and/or bait fish in, and I worked them slowly and thoughly, deep, shallow, and in between. ZERO.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining or about to sell my rods and take up golf. (everyone knows a bad day fishing beats the sox off ANY day at work!) I definatly think I am doing something wrong though. Now, my girlfriend wants me to take her out there tonite and she is starting to think she is bad luck, cause everytime she goes with we don't catch'em like usual. Hopefully someone can throw me some advise before we head out.

Looks like you had some sucess Walli....good work.

Grey Goose sometimes ya catch em and sometimes ya don't. Did you try working some areas that you marked fish in slowly with a lindy rig? Look like you tried everything else....

I wasn't able to hit the riv this weekend due to some obligations that needed tending to. But I'll be out there tonight and will give a report afterwards!

Where abouts you guys fishing North or South of Stillwater ? Jiggin Lindys Cranks ? Haven't fished the river much but might give it a try. How's the boat traffic heard it gets pretty bad ?

I only fish the 6.5 miles stretch from Prescott to the Kinni, I have so for years. Most fish this past weekend came lindy riggen with crawlers 22 fow staying vertical and slow except for one I picked up bottom bouncing. Boat traffic isn't to bad if your off the river by 10, depends where your fishing smile.gif

Great reports walli, as always, liked the pics too. I have to get down that way soon and work the fish for a bit. I have been busy riggin for the big water salmon bite. Man, I have the fever. Keep up the great posts, glad to hear you are doing better with your health. The good Lord does listen and has heard our prayers! Keep up the good work my friend!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Sun. Nite didn't go much better for me, though the traffic had died down early so it was a beautiful, peaceful evening. I was working areas that were holding fish pretty slowly,and I got alotta hits, but couldn't seal the deal on a solid hook-set. I'm headin to Mille Lacs this weekend... ...maybe the fish there won't snub me.

Got out Monday evening for a while, man it was still out there.... Landed 4 walleyes, one 20 incher and 3 14 to 14-3/4". All released, all on crawlers from 12' to 20' of water. Maybe get out Thursday again...

At least you had some action, sure wish I could make it out during the week but I'm just to busy, talk to a guy from church, he was telling me that a buddy of his went down to the St Croix fishing and ended up with a 200.00 dollar fine for a short walleye he had, I guess he wasn't aware of the 15" min. I'm sure he wish he would of known! A tip of the old fishing cap to the DNR for doing their job! smile.gif

Yeah I wonder how many sub 15" walleyes make it off the river each year? Too bad for that guy but ignorance is no excuse either...I toss em even if they pass 15" by a 1/16" or 1/8", cause ya never know. Not worth 2 bills!

Tell you what weekdays are great out there. I get clearance from the better half and get stuff done the day before and try to get home by 4:00 and on the river by 5:00...4-1/2 hours of water time. Boat traffic is minimal unless it's a Friday.

made it out this morning from 6:30 -1:00 in the Kinny to Prescott area. The fishin was good but the catchin was tough, short ones were all I could find. I did also snag a 3lb. cat, What a fight! HTB

Well I got the call again looks like its time to step up to the plate and put some fish in the box, I'll be having two gentlemen with me on saturday morning, neither one of them has the hang of lindy riggen or walleye fishing for that matter but the Lord willing I'll do my best to put them on the fish, should be really interesting teaching a couple river green horns how to catch eyes! smile.gif