Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snl1028

Good shore fishing spots

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm going out with my girlfriend fishing this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew some good shore fishing spots? I would perfer to have a chance to catch some walleye and norther. Anything will do though. I'm looking for a place somewhere in the metro area. Does anyone know any Minnetonka spots? Any Mississippi river spots? Thanks for your time.

Shan L-L

Walleye might be tough, and shore spots are getting harder to come with the weed growth this late in the summer.

There are always spots where you can catch small sunfish if you are just looking for action. But if you want quality fish I would suggest the river. The Minnehaha Creek/Mississippi River confluence is a good spot to try. You'll have a shot at walleye, smallmouth, white bass, and anything else that swims.

Try any spot on the sippi or croix. It's so low you can walk anywhere right now. Just remember the smallies are gonna be right close to shore, so don't cast right from the spot you think they might be, cast ahead of where you are and bring it downstream. Brining the bait downstream is cruicial, baitfish don't swim upstream and it makes for a much more real presentation. Walleye fishing from shore on the river is tough if you don't know where you're going. If you're adament about trying it put on a leadhead w/ a twister tail and just start casting into the river. If you get one fish that spot hard cuz there's probably more where it came from

Quote:

Walleye might be tough, and shore spots are getting harder to come with the weed growth this late in the summer.

There are always spots where you can catch small sunfish if you are just looking for action. But if you want quality fish I would suggest the river. The Minnehaha Creek/Mississippi River confluence is a good spot to try. You'll have a shot at walleye, smallmouth, white bass, and anything else that swims.

Do you have any suggestions for how to get down to the confluence? I can get to the east side of that part of the river no problem, but I don't feel like walking down the hiking path from Minnehaha Falls park to get to the confluence. There must be a shortcut.... right??

On the west side off Hwy 55 there is a frontage road with a few pay lots. There are a few free parking spots, and a path and stairs that go down much closer to the mouth than the main park. A big rock with a plaque marks the entrance up top.