Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr Thunder

North Shore to Ely?

10 posts in this topic

Are there any problems in coming up Hwy 2 from the North Shore to Ely? Would I still hit the construction at Hwy 1 by going that way?

And is the construction West of Tower still going on?

I would appreciate any info.

Thank you

You will hit construction going both ways. South of Ely you will be driving through the construction. West of Tower you would be detoured around it.

How far west of Tower are you headed? If you are going to Cook or something further it may be in your best interest to take Forest Highway 11(Lake County 15 / Saint Louis County 16) from 2 to the range and then take US 53.

Thank you for the info. Actually, I am coming up from southern Mn. to Ely. Just wanting to do a scenic drive up the North Shore and up Hwy. 2. But it sounds like I would be better off to just head up 53 and take 135 through Biwabik to Tower.

Thanks again.

I 2nd the HWY 11 option.

Quote:

Thank you for the info. Actually, I am coming up from southern Mn. to Ely. Just wanting to do a scenic drive up the North Shore and up Hwy. 2. But it sounds like I would be better off to just head up 53 and take 135 through Biwabik to Tower.

Thanks again.

Take 53 North out of Virginia, turn onto 169 North to Tower/Ely. Easiest and fastest route. No construction in that area.

You can take a day trip out of Ely on # 1 or else the Echo Trail. Lots of wildlife and great scenery if you go early or late in the day.

Cliff

Cliff, Casey was talking of repairs west of Tower. Is that on 1 or 169? I'm in Hinckley for the night (from St. Joe, Mo.) and heading to Ely in the morning. Any detours on 169 between 53 and Ely? Thanks.

Finns.

Went to Ely Wed evening. No delays or construction on 169 from Virginia to Ely

The road work is on 1. No road work on 169.

If you are heading up 35 and going 53 get off the exit for 37 in Eveleth. It cuts across to Gilbert then get on 135 and head over to Tower. You will skip driving through Eveleth and Virginia. No stoplights and less traffic. It is a nice drive going up and over the Laurentian Divide. You get a pretty good veiw looking north once you pass the LTV entrance. If you don't have your heart set on going through Tower you can turn onto County Road 21 at Four Corners off of 135 and then head north on 21 to Ely. Here again less traffic. You could even stop at Swamp Fest in Embarrass grin.gif

Heart is only set on getting to Ely. Was thinking of 53 to 169 to Ely but your route sound better on the eyes. We go to Embarrass every year anyhow so might as well hit it on the way up. Thanks for the info.

Finns.

When heading to Ely from Duluth I use Rice Lake Rd to Rudy Perpich Memorial Dr (County 4) then hook up to I35 in Gilbert.

I usually cut to Babbit at Four corners. I love that route, no traffic and better scenery!!!