Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saxman1036

Lake Elmo

5 posts in this topic

I was warned before heading out to the Elmo that it's a "tough" lake to fish. Well, I just got back from Elmo for the first time, and am at a loss for words. I don't get it. The structure for supporting fish, especially northern and bass, is fantastic. Lots of thick weeds in the shallows, and quick drops to deep holes. We tried the weed lines, skipping piers/boats, trolled, cranked, you name it for 8 hrs. We caught only a few nice <15" bass, but no fat ones and no northern. Awfully surprising considering I usually catch many snakes just by accident.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to fish Elmo? Or maybe, at least some explanation for WHY Elmo is so tough?

I was out there last night for four hours and we caught one perch that was only an inch longer than the perch colored shad rap I was throwing. The lake gets an incredible amount of fishing pressure, and I rarely see good creels. It is about 7 minutes from home so to easy to try. I think the depth of the lake effects the amount of fish it has, but I guess Josh over at Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale would disagree. He caught the state record tiger-muskie on Lake Elmo. If you are new to the lake I do have my best fishing on the structure on the north side of the lake, but over the years have found that the deep weed line is the best area for good fishing there.

Think deep, and by deep I mean DEEP. This lake has gin clear water so the sunlight penetrated much deeper than you think. Combine the clear water and recreational traffic and that makes for some very tough fishing. Try mid week mornings if you can.

I agree. I think alotta people would be surprised at how deep pike and bass will go in midsummer on crystal clear lakes. I would fish it like a shield's lake up north, so for bass I'd go 25 ft + and for pike i'd look for 'em suspended, same w/ the 'skis. I think there's tulibee in the lake, so those pike are gonna be chowing on them in deep water, 60ft +. Just cruise around till ya see a ball of something on your sonar w/ marks underneath it and troll the heck out of it. I've even caught smallies doing this.

Quote:

I agree. I think alotta people would be surprised at how deep pike and bass will go in midsummer on crystal clear lakes. I would fish it like a shield's lake up north, so for bass I'd go 25 ft + and for pike i'd look for 'em suspended, same w/ the 'skis. I think there's tulibee in the lake, so those pike are gonna be chowing on them in deep water, 60ft +. Just cruise around till ya see a ball of something on your sonar w/ marks underneath it and troll the heck out of it. I've even caught smallies doing this.

Thanks guys - I'll keep that in mind for the next time I get tired of fishing Demontreville. wink.gif