Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1Yogi

Synthetic Oils

6 posts in this topic

Has anybody put Synthetic Gear Lube into a Lower Unit?

Can I Switch from 90 wt. to Synthetic?

Would you do this on a 1983 15 hp Evinrude?

I sure hope you can! I did that to the diffs in my truck and so far so good. Just make sure its a synthetic that covers 90w (75 or 80w-90).

Could I ask why you want to go synthetic?

Yes, but I think you still need to stick with something that is for marine/lower unit use.

Amsoil has it, although I've seen others too.

I've been using all synthetic oils since the 80's. I use it in everything ,execpt things that leak. Mostly Amsoil but somtimes Mobil1 or Valvoline Synth. I realy fell in love with it in a old 76 Chev Puckup. It had 240 thousand on it and I couldn't keep a body on it anymore, just to rusty.

Pulled the moter apart and the cylinder walls were in amazing condition, not a groove. That was all amsoil ,it was about the only thing avalable then.

Well part of it is synthetics actually lube better. The other part is from what I've read they are more environmentaly sound. It's all about lowering impact these days isb't it?

The AMSOIL Marine Gear Lube is 75W/80W-90 and is rated both GL-4 and GL-5, suitable for all outboard lower units, in-outs, and inboard gear boxes. With 10% water contamination it still lubricates and protects. It prevents rust and is compatable with all aluminum, copper and brass alloys.

To make sure you get the marine gear lube, look for product code AGM, available in 13oz squeeze tubes and quarts.

It is recommended to change at the end of the season before storing for the off season.