Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michaelpettersen82

Fish Warts??? What are theese nasty things??

6 posts in this topic

What are the wart looking things on all theese fish ive been catching up here this year, never seen it before, also what causes them??Thanx for any answers.

> MN DNR Home > Natural resources > Animals > Fish > Fish Diseases >

Name of the condition: Dermal Sarcoma

Cause of disease: Virus

What does it look like? Grape cluster like tumor. Walleye dermal sarcoma produces warty growths commonly seen on the fish's skin and fins. Growths are usually gray-white or pinkish in color.

Fish species affected:

This disease is only seen in walleye.

Life cycle:

Infections occur throughout the year but at a higher rate during the walleye's spring spawning season. Walleyes congregate on their spawning grounds and the virus spreads from fish to fish through physical contact.

Where is the disease is found?

Found predominantly in the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes Region. Occurs throughout Minnesota.

Is it safe to eat?

The disease is not known to infect humans. As always, cook fish thoroughly.

How can I prevent the spread?

There are no practical ways to control this disease.

Disposal of unused portions:

Skin of infected walleye should be buried or disposed with household waste. Fish entrails should never be discarded back into the lake.

thanx eagle eyes

No prob!

I don't want to be a wise guy but my Bear Country training....says to discard of fish entrails in deep water after cutting into small chunks.

We see that here on Upper Red Lake and nothing to worry about. As summer goes on they become less and less.

I do know when they first showed up it spooked me a little but now I have learned how to skin the fillets around the bumps...so I guess we have got used to the little warts. grin.gif