Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ripper

charging a deep cycle battery

4 posts in this topic

Just put a trolling motor on my boat and have no real experience in charging a deep cycle battery? I know you can get on board chargers but I have a regular car battery charger that I thought I could use right? The new battery is 12 volts. With my charger I have a switch for 6amps or 2 amps? What do I use?

6amp overnight, or so. Should put you back to 100%, unless you're really down.

When i first got my trolling motor I tried charging the battery with a regular (old) car battery charger and the charger got so hot you couldn't even touch it without getting burned. I figured this wasn't safe.

I bought a schumaker charger at auto zone for $70. It has a switch for regular or deep cell batteries. then a switch for 100 amp jump start (joke), 15 amp, and 2 amp. It can usually top my trolling battery off in 4 hours on 15 amp, and has an auto shut off feature and all that. That is what I would do.

Fleet has a pretty good charger for around 40 bucks, smart charger I do believe, it has 2, 6 and 12 amp, but it will select on its own depending on what IT thinks. I really like mine. I had bought one last year but some how that one grew legs..so I dont know about longevity yet. I would check them out.