• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Jane, Lake Olson, Lake Demontreville in NE East Metro

Just curious on the launches and the motor size limit on these three lakes. And how are they for Bass, Pannies and Northern? Any advice or suggestions wold be greatly appreciated. I have never done these lakes, and they seem like some decent lakes not to big, nor to far from home.

Thanks every one..

Lake Jane has a very shallow launch. In fact I use my trolling motor to get out to the lake basin. Has a nice deep 36 foot hole, but is very weed covered this year compared to last. Catch and release only for largemouths so it makes for a good bite, but too many hammerhandle northerns. Great panfish lake for kids and with the deep swimming hole I take my kids there often. Because the launch is so shallow only fishing boats venture out, but some of the lake owners do some skiing.

Demontreville on the other hand has an okay launch with dock and is very crowded with waterskiing now, and I have been unable to find a spot at the launch, which is why I fish Jane so much. Both are only 5 minutes from home. Lake Olson doesn't have a launch but can be reached by a channel from Demontreville and if I can get a spot on the launch I usually fish Olson as it is smaller and the skiing isn't as bad.

No motor restrictions, but you have to go a certain direction if over plane.

Hope this helps.

Also, on all these lakes I think, there is a no-wake rule in effect until I think noon. Maybe it is earlier, but I think noon.

Have fun!

I don't remember that being posted. I think it is sunset to sunrise, but I could be wrong. If there is a noon ban it is not being enforced. However I had my license and boat checked on Lake Demontreville for the first time in the 11 years I have lived, fished and hunted in Minnesota. Never met one of the CO's before no matter what season it was. Nice to see them as there were two individuals with a bucket of pannies who didn't look like they were enjoying the CO's count totals if you know what I mean.

If it matters two of my favorite lakes on the Northeast side are Big Carnelian (sp?) and Big Marine.

Quote:

Just curious on the launches and the motor size limit on these three lakes. And how are they for Bass, Pannies and Northern? Any advice or suggestions wold be greatly appreciated. I have never done these lakes, and they seem like some decent lakes not to big, nor to far from home.

Thanks every one..

I was on Demontreville last week... caught a slew of small northern and a couple very nice size (16"+) largemouths. Because of the release-all-largemouth, I have heard of some VERY nice ones coming out of there (~5-6lbs).

There is a line of bouys extending north from a point near the top of the lake - you can't miss them. We had luck fishing the east side of this... and you should too unless the wind tries to blow you off the lake. smile.gif

BoxMN is right about the no-wake issue. ALl lakes in Lake Elmo including Jane, Olson, Demontreville and Lake Elmo are no-wake from sunset until noon the next day. I fished there last night and it was posted I just never noticed. The bass can be incredible on the lakes and I practice alot of different presentations due to the healthy populations. I think I have gotten drop shot down finally.

I hope every one has a safe and sane weekend. If you are ever on the lake and see a red and white 17' Starcraft with a 90 on the back say hi.

All three of these lakes have a sunset until noon no wake rule. Many people do not pay attention to the rule. The Washington County cops patrols the lake regularly so if you want to go fast before noon, I think I would stay off these lakes. Anyone know why this rule is in place?

I spoke to the Sherrif last night on the Lake Elmo launch as they were watching every boat coming in to the launch. They said it was a Lake Elmo law to reduce noise pollution as Demontreville, Olson, and Jane are in neighborhoods ringed with higher ground. I have to say I was impressed with the Washington deputies. Very professional and left my 12 year-old with a good impression of the officers. His dream is to be a CO, but he said on the ride home he could be a deputy if he can't get hired as a CO. Just nice to have your kids have a very positive interaction with the police so it builds respect. By the way we only caught a 4 inch perch on a 3 inch perch shad rap last night. Lake Elmo is tough..........

Thanks everyone for the info. I hope to hit Jane next weekend. Sound like I may have a good chance of catching some decent fish...

Alan,

Make sure you have a sturdy oar to push out of the landing. On Tuesday it was way shallow had to have my motor out of the water to even launch.

Just the launch area. It gets worse each year. Very sandy area with points on each side so the winds just bring in more and more sand. They redid the actual concrete launch and dock this year which is really nice but they didn't dredge out where you launch at. So all of the nice ramp improvements are mute. If you have never tried drop shot for bass this is the lake to give it a try. Good luck.

Quote:

If you have never tried drop shot for bass this is the lake to give it a try. Good luck.

Could you explain to me just what that is, sorry still a newbie for Bass. Thanks

Never mind, I did a Google search, and found all that I ever wanted to know. Is this drop shot rig more productive than crank baits?

In this lake it is super weedy so you will foul a crank bait to often. Throwing spinner baits will get you bass and lots of hammer handle pike. This is such a good bass lake I have been trying to get used to more of the plastic presentations, and with the weeds I have really enjoyed drop shot, and jigs of all types. Tubes tend to get more pike than bass, but it could just be me. Again I fish the lake alot because of how close I live, and because you can normally find a spot in the small launch parking lot. On weekends I am either on the crosslake/whitefish chain at the in-laws or the St. Croix. I grew up on the Colorado river so to me nothing beats river fishing especially with the bizarre stuff you can catch on the St. Croix.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to my first time on Lake Jane. Wow! What a blast! Caught a slew of the hammer handle northerns everyone is talking about. But the real fun came about 9:30 when the large mouth starting hitting. My first one was close to 10-12 inches, I have never caught a fish like that before. And they just kept coming... I have always fished pan fish, sunnies, crappies...but bass?? Now this is fun stuff...I am definitely going back for more...

Yes the launch is very very shallow, and continues to be shallow out about 50-60 feet. But the lake is very clean and clear, (With lots, & lots of weeds) and I got there early, so I was second in the lot.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice on Lake Jane. It made my first time on that lake and fishing for Bass a blast.

Quote:

My first one was close to 10-12 inches, I have never caught a fish like that before.

Nice fish! I wish I could catch em like that. smile.gif

Thanks, It sure caught me by surprise. I had no idea I was going to catch anything that size. I took a pic of it with my cell phone to send to my kid. I had my regular digital with me, but I think I banged it on the LCD when I got in the boat, because the screen was all funky looking and messed up. So I caould not use it to take any pics. I am going out tonight to get a 24" ruler to mount in my boat, so I can back up my claims on how long they really are. wink.gif

Glad you enjoyed Jane. If you ever see a red/white 17 foot starcraft with a 90 horse on the back stop and say hello. I am there at least once a week.

Not to sound like a smart-(Contact Us Please)... but I did see 10-12" on the bass over there. Am I missing something? I hope I don't offend someone, but I think anything less than 14" is usually small when it comes to bass. Did you mean you were catching 20-22" bass? Now THAT would be big...

-Gregg B.

Quote:

Did you mean you were catching 20-22" bass? Now THAT would be big...

Nope, nothing that big, just the pueny 12" bass is all. wink.gif

I don't get to D'Montreville as much these days as I use to, but 10-15 years ago when it was pounded a little less than now, 20" bass were quite common. I think the pressure has increased quite a bit since then, but there are still numbers of big bass there. It was always surprising how many fish we caught in really shallow (shallow being less than 1-2 feet). The water is so low now that a lot of the tress, bushes, and other shoreline structure is 5-10 feet back from the water's edge now.

I have not been able to get onto Demontreville at all for about a month now. The small parking area is always full with trailers lining the road up by hwy 13.....What a fun fishing lake with the kids. Now stuck on Jane or the St. Croix.