• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

99 JEEP CHEROKEE

MILLER TIME

Question

My girlfriends suv has been having trouble starting. Cranks over fine but doesnt start right away, it took three tries this morning and ran a little funny so she shut it off. Do theses have the same problems as a chevy as far as fuel regulators or filters. It acts like my chevy did a year back. And if so where is it located and could i do it myself? I think Its a striaght 6 cylinder if that matters

4 answers to this question

I think yours is regulated at the fuel pump. If this is the case than the pump/module assembly will need to be replaced. These are not cheap! Making sure that this is the problem before just replacing it would be a good idea.

This is a pretty common problem for all Chryslers. We see quite a few Durangos, Dakotas, and Jeeps with the symptoms you have described and it usually is always the fuel pump/module assembly.

If it is regulated at the fuel rail than it will be in plain view on the rail close to the P/S pump (if I recall correctly).

Does this have to be hooked up to a computer to tell me the problem? Is there any other way of checking it? Thanks again for the help!

I had that exact problem with my 98 Grand Cherokee, I replaced the Fuel Pump assembly and it solved the problem.

Quote:

Does this have to be hooked up to a computer to tell me the problem? Is there any other way of checking it? Thanks again for the help!

If I where looking at this my gut instinct would say fuel issue based on your description of the problem. All you need is a fuel pressure gauge. The schrader valve is on the fuel rail and is easily accessible. With the pressure gauge hooked up turn the key on (may have to cycle the key a couple of times to build pressure), fuel pressure should rise and then hold. If the pressure drops Then there is a problem. 99% of the time the fuel pump is the issue but the possibility of an injector(s) leaking may also exist although unlikely.

Good luck!!