Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toddb

Fisky's rockpile pike

9 posts in this topic

Here are a couple nice pike from a recent fisky outing.

nor2ps.jpg

nor1.jpg

Yepper them Walters were tough for us that day but these Hammerhandles sorta made up for it. Man these Pikers fight and jump hard in early July when compared to those early May fish! My buddy Carson biggest Pike yet, that pic does'nt do the fish justice....That thing was a real widebody DC10, 41+ incher.

fiskyknut

Fisky, nice fish. Had a similar July afternoon a couple years back where we caught and released a 34", 37" and 42" pulling taildancers around the reefs close to Rocky Point. Talk about bonus fish! Big smiles that day.

Anyway, it seems like in your posts ( and Toddb) I read where you guys flatline Reef Runners a fair amount. I like the look of these plugs but always have lots of "tuning" issues with them. Do you guys have the same problem? If so any short cuts or tricks you could share when it comes to getting them right?

Usually after several attempts to get it back in tune I lose patience and confidence in the things and just go back to the old reliable Tail Dancers. They always seem to be good-to-go right out of the box.

Thanks

How much line do you usually let out with the taildancers? I have several of them but was wondering if they follow roughly the same dive curve as the reef runners or a different curve. Please let me know. I am running 10 lb fireline on 1 rod and 14 pound fireline crystal on the other.

No problems here with the Big Reef Runners, but you do have to tune every one almost. Very, very, very (did I say very?)small adjustments to the eye. I use the reef runner tool, but a needlenose works. To really fine tune them crank up the speed a little to truly see if they track to one side or the other.

later,

toddb

150' out should get you in the 30' area with 14#.

nice gators!

did they bite on cranks?

We caught them on jigs and shiners in 25 fow.

Must be downrigger time?? Will have to make a trip up there myself.