Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JHays1

South Center - Annoying Newbie

6 posts in this topic

My Buddy and I went out on SC the other weekend with shiners and sucker minnows on rigs trolling over the points to try and catch anything we came up quit short. We only caught 1 pike in 4 hours. Anyone have any tips to catch some this time of year?

What were you after?.. If you were looking for bass and pike, the key may be finding the green weeds, whats left of them at least. That or Rock... walleye have probably moved out quite a bit deeper...

Quote:

My Buddy and I went out on SC the other weekend with shiners and sucker minnows on rigs trolling over the points to try and catch anything we came up quit short. We only caught 1 pike in 4 hours. Anyone have any tips to catch some this time of year?

We just go out with Fatheads and Crappie minnows, troll back and forth over the points from 30 to 3 ft of water.

Last weekend I had a fish on (probably Northern) for 15 minutes, but never got it to the boat before it broke the line.

I'll admit I use a Super Ultra Light rod, so I don't have the best ability to fight, but the drag was set and I've brought 10 lb northern in on this rod before, just sucks when you don't even get to see the fish.

Anyways, just a gold hook with a weight about 2' from the hook. Wife caught an 8 lb northern off of one of the points last year.

You'll catch anything from small sunnies to crappies to perch to northern to a 5 lb walleye that I caught this spring before the season.

I was going out for mostly for pike or bass. A walleye would have been a nice touch but mostly for the easier species. We worked all depths from 30ft - 5ft. The water was very murky and I couldnt really find a good weedline. There really werent many weeds to work. We worked the largest point that extends way out into the lake and only got one fish. I dont know what we did wrong but we werent abel to get into anything

You may not have been doing anything wrong.. the fish may just have been "off".. thats why they call it fishing and not 'catchin'. grin.gif

Quote:

I was going out for mostly for pike or bass. A walleye would have been a nice touch but mostly for the easier species. We worked all depths from 30ft - 5ft. The water was very murky and I couldnt really find a good weedline. There really werent many weeds to work. We worked the largest point that extends way out into the lake and only got one fish. I dont know what we did wrong but we werent abel to get into anything

Don't worry. Beginning of June, we went out on a Saturday afternoon / evening. Slammed the crappies from about 6 pm until 10 pm, couldn't keep them off the line. There wasn't much size for the most part, but the 5 year old had a blast.

Went out the next night, Sunday, same time, even less pleasure boat traffic, could BUY a bite. Using same lures, bait, spot, speed, whatever.

Drove all over the lake to the different spots, nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Even the people that live on the lake are going to have days where you're going to have to drag a net 50' across to make sure the fish aren't fished out.