• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

if the weather is good is there any to catch some walleye on the big lake? like between the 2 entrys along park point? trool shad raps? depths? ect, any help would be awsome!! also if welleye fishing out of the river one would also need a trout stamp? can 2 lines be used on the lake? thanks again! smile.gif

Northlander will see this post and hopefully help you out. He knows those Gitchigumee/St. Louis River 'eyes pretty good.

As for myself, I've got lake trout-idis and am doing a day trip to Canada tomorrow to scratch my itch, along with a couple buddies. My smoker is in need of some laker fillets.

Brian

Well I wish I had better news for ya. The walleye fishing on the big lake has been very hit and miss lately. More miss in the past few weeks. Water temps close to shore are warm and what baitfish were there last week are gone now.

Always worth a shot but with this warm weather coming it will be a tuff bite.

Heres what I like to do in very basic terms.

I will troll stick baits like bombers, reefrunners, smithwicks, Brads, Daves Kabooms behind boards with or without snap weights. I always have 1 bomber back off the board 120' to see if anythings on top. Then I will run a bait of choice with a 2 or 3oz. snap weight out off the other board. 3rd line (In Wisc. Waters) is long line out the back with a deep running smithwick or Reefrunner that I can get down 20-25' by itself. I also run the Taildancers in size 11 and can tag bottom in 30' of water with 10# Power Pro.

As far as colors I always run something with gold/orange. Its probably the most consistant bait color I have used in the past 3 years. On bright days I go bright and on overcast I will run darks like purples, blues, darker greens.

I like 2.3 to 2.7mph but that changes almost daily.

As far as spots to try I will leave that up to everyone to figure out. I will say that most days I fish in less than 50' of water. Some days though I get them suspeneded out over 60-90' of water.

Nobody and I mean nobody has the big lake walleyes dialed in all summer. Once you think you have the migration figured out the weather changes or you cant get out for a few days due to wind and you have to hunt them down all over again.

Thats part of the challenge I guess. This year we have been able to get out a lot and have been doing quite well until about 2 weeks ago. We had BIG winds and I lost them.

Good thing is Lakers and Coho and a few kings have moved into the areas I was catching eyes.

Once August/Sept rolls around and waters cool off a bit the eyes will pick up again.

I live in Superior so mostly fish the cheesey side. Get a trout stamp its well worth the money. If you arent getting eyes you will more than likely get a few coho or lakers. If your lucky you will get a king or two.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the help sir, i just hope to get out on the lake to start with...thats the most important part! laugh.gif