Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yamahopper

Wahkon area

6 posts in this topic

I am purchasing a camping trailer in this bay and looking for any info on what fish can be caught in the bay or near it. Looking to get the family out for some fun. I have a very light aluminum boat so long runs and wave busting are not going to work.

Well, I'm hoping the fishing is more active than the forum. Would I be best looking for pike or small mouth in this area?

i dont fish much for muskie or northerns, but there is a vegetation reef kind of southsoutheast of halfmoon island. its a good spot for muskies and im sure northerns too. the shallow rocks around the island must hold small mouth too. take it with a grain of salt, but if no one else answers at least its a place to start. good luck!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Thanks for the info. I think I,ll let the boys try a little of both and see how it goes. I am going to pick up a lake map or two to study also.

Walleyes, pike, smallmouth, and muskies are all avaialable in Wahkon bay. The shallower rocks is where you'll likely find the smallies. Trolling or casting along the weedlines is where you'll find the pike/muskies. The West side of Half Moon, Upper Twin, and Lower twin are all good bets for walleyes during primetime hours.

Good luck!

computerboy nailed it. I too have a small aluminum and very rarely venture outside the bay, and it's not just because of the boat, but because there is some good fishing to be had in Wahkon. Keep an eye out for a tan alumacraft with a 50hp yamaha with a casting seat (and an overweight dude with the sleeves ripped off his shirt) up front, and stop by and say hi! smile.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• smurfy
      yea personally i think people are nutz driving vehicles on the lakes around here right now.............be safe walk or use a wheeler!!!!!!!
    • Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye! On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too! On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report. We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!
    • Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye! On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too! On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report. We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!
    • TheTuna
      The Holes to Heaven Fishing Derby/Raffle will be held again on Lake Osakis Saturday February 4th.  Hosted by St Mary's Catholic School in Long Prairie, MN.  Derby runs noon to 3pm and located in front of Head of the Lakes Resort on North end of Lake Osakis. 
    • dfv87
      Gophers are turning the program the right direction... getting Coffey to come really opened eyes of local kids to consider the U... Hope they keep it up. Great game with WI... lost in OT but really well played game by both sides.