Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
am10ao

pike bay

12 posts in this topic

I am taking the family up to pike bay a week from friday.

can any one help me with some different patterns i should look for. I will be fishing for walleye, pike and bass. I am not looking for anyones honey holes just to get pointed in the right direction. I have a 18ft lowe with a 115hp..

so i am willing to do some exploring. thanks for the help!

Head straight north out of pike bay (raspery island and north) Use a slip bobber and leech around rocks and docks. Late afternoon on sunny day is best. Drop leech into shade of rock or dock. If cork isn't down in a minute or less pick it up and move it a few feet. We caught hundreds of smallies this way. Was up two weeks ago for 10 days. Also caught 4 walleyes this way. All were slots from 22" to 25". It was an awesome time.

Troll rapalas in pike bay if you want walleyes.

Pike Bay is probably almost a total waste of time fishing for walleyes at this time. Sept. thru freeze-up can be very good fishing again though!

There are areas outside Pike Bay that will produce much better results for your time at this time of the year.

Cliff

ditto what cliff said....you have the boat....you can easily get to the fish anywhere...have fun and set that hook!

I catch fish in Pike Bay year round! I do sometimes get skunked in a day of fishing but i can usually get 2 or 3 walleyes in a couple hours.

I bet those pike bay pickles aren't very big.

I remember one time my Grandfather who is about 6'3 pretty much walked from the south side to the north side and never went under. He had to move quickly as it was total silt.

The point is that it is shallow and silty.

Can you catch fish year round, sure. Is it worth the 5 or 10 minute trip to the main lake......no question.

Quote:

I catch fish in Pike Bay year round! I do sometimes get skunked in a day of fishing but i can usually get 2 or 3 walleyes in a couple hours.

I also can always manage to catch a couple of walleyes in Pike Bay in a couple of hours.

My guess is that you are also fishing Pike Bay during the usual peak bite times,(morning and evenibg). Correct?

If so, I still think you are better off spending that two or three prime hours in Big Bay catching 15 to 20 walleyes instead of 2 or 3 fish!

Cliff

It is usually during primetime although i have caught them in the middle of the day. I never have any luck in Big Bay frown.gif. Maybe im just a bad fisherman confused.gif

I doubt if you are a bad fisherman - you probably are just fishing bad spots in Big Bay.

Cliff

Sounds like my luck on Big Bay as of late... tongue.gif But they're out there! After the first couple of weeks after opener, I won't fish Pike Bay until fall.

I dont know ive tried everywhere around big bay and never seem to get anything. Isnt that what seperates the good and the bad fisherman being able to find good spots. I just know that ive always had my best luck in pike bay. grin.gif