Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mid-Lake Rock

St. Paul and East Twin Cities

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm trying to help a coworker who lives in St. Paul. He wants to take his young son (4 years old) fishing near St. Paul. He's looking for panfish and bass if possible. He asked me for help, but I spend my time on Minnetonka, Mille Lacs, etc. from my boat, and don't know of any docks or shoreline on the east side of town - so I wasn't much help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully get a young kid interested in fishing. Thanks in advance.

Check out the dnr's FIN program. web page

Thanks for the info!

Quote:

Hi. I'm trying to help a coworker who lives in St. Paul. He wants to take his young son (4 years old) fishing near St. Paul. He's looking for panfish and bass if possible. He asked me for help, but I spend my time on Minnetonka, Mille Lacs, etc. from my boat, and don't know of any docks or shoreline on the east side of town - so I wasn't much help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully get a young kid interested in fishing. Thanks in advance.

I've had a lot of luck at Powers Lake (South of I-94 on CR-19 in Woodbury). You can find lake info through the link already provided above. No motors are allowed on the lake so it's generally very quiet.

Even though there is a fishing pier on the lake I never fish it. I have good luck with plastics worms and spinnerbaits along the northern shore, west of the bridge (using the DNR map will help with this). If the bluegills keep pecking at your plastic worm, switch over to bobbers to catch the bluegill otherwise change spots if you want to catch bass. The weeds get pretty thick along the shoreline, but you can cast over it. I always use fireline and a weedless worm.

I can't speak to the size of the bluegill there but they are always there. However I have caught two 4lb bass there this year, and several in 2-3lb. Speaking with friends in woodbury, they claim it's actually a better lake for northern although I've never caught one.

That Lake is open to public?? I fished it when the farmer would try to chase me off in 1987&88,Put my canoe it right off the road,down by the creek entrance was my best spot! frown.gif

Quote:

That Lake is open to public?? I fished it when the farmer would try to chase me off in 1987&88,Put my canoe it right off the road,down by the creek entrance was my best spot!
frown.gif

Yes it is open, I started fishing it about 4 years ago. It's now listed by the DNR as one of the metro's shorefishing lakes. It's developed all around the lake now, but Woodbury was smart (unlike most cities) and did not allow anyone to build a home ON the shoreline. There are about 30ft of woods and a walking path all the way around the lake now so as long as you don't mind the brush & mud from time to time it's great.

If you are going to put in a canoe, then I would recommend going in at the "landing" in the northwest corner of the lake. You can park right next to the playground and walk your canoe the 50ft down to the water.

Thanks Sax. The info will be give to father and son.

are you sure motors arent allowed and there arent any shoreline homes? ive seen a pontoon motoring around on the lake last year. also ive seen some decent pike caught out of there(22-28+ in.) but all were from tip-ups in the winter.

check that. just looked at dnr lake finder. it says city owns entire shoreline and there is a electric motor only restriction, but that survey was done in '97. not sure if both those facts are true still. but there was a pontoon and no electric motor was pushing it with as fast as it was going.

Quote:

are you sure motors arent allowed and there arent any shoreline homes? ive seen a pontoon motoring around on the lake last year. also ive seen some decent pike caught out of there(22-28+ in.) but all were from tip-ups in the winter.

check that. just looked at dnr lake finder. it says city owns entire shoreline and there is a electric motor only restriction, but that survey was done in '97. not sure if both those facts are true still. but there was a pontoon and no electric motor was pushing it with as fast as it was going.

Now that I think of it, the electric only sounds right. I've seen the pontoon beached before but never moving around the lake... guess I just assumed it was electric.