Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonnyD

Crawlers/ Leeches

7 posts in this topic

Are leeches still going good, or is it more of a crawler and spinner bite right now? I'm taking a trip to the pond this weekend and wondering whats going better.

Thanks

That can change back and forth at any time. At this point if I were you, I'd probably feel safe leaving minnows on shore but I wouldn't head out there looking for walleyes unless I had both crawlers AND leeches on board. I've had this go back and forth literally within the same day of fishing. Sometimes they want a leech dangled in front of their nose, other times they will respond to the crawler spinner zipping by.

Don't forget crankbaits as well. My last walleye outing was saved by the decision to troll crankbaits after the live bait did nothing. I'd start with crawlers though and try leeches next.

I am also heading up this weekend w/ my wife, staying at a place on the SE end. Will I need to head all the way to the Flats or can the eyes be found in the nearer reefs. It seems most of the reports refer to the flats.

Thanks

Corkin' on the rock reefs is kicking out fish and more so the ones you're looking to keep.

I didn't hit the flats at all last weekend and I got fish. Not many for the pan, but the just over 16" to 19" fish were more common than any other weekend. I fished mostly gravel in 16-22' of water running leeches under a cork and did some shallow trolling in 6-12' of water with shad raps on the rocks. Starting to see lots of decent perch on the raps over the rocks too.

Any updates??? confused.gif Goin out Monday. Thank you!!