Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick Kuhn

Pike/Muskie Lakes?

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, new to this forum (but not forums in general). I've lived in Inver Grove Heights almost my whole life but never really fished the metro area. However for the next few weeks the boat is in the metro and not it's usual northwest Wisconsin home. It's a 16 foot Tracker deep V with a 75HP Merc on the back. I'm looking for some lakes in the metro to fish Pike/Muskie that I can use the boat on (not familiar with the local restrictions). For the midweek suggestions something near the southeast would be best so I can get in some evenings after work. For weekends I'd have time to drive a little further. Not looking for your secret spots and I practice CPR (to the point that nearby fisherman have said "if you don't want them we'll take them") so your fish are safe except for maybe showing those who don't CPR where the fish are. The ramp needs to be a little over 2 feet deep to launch as I know water levels are down and that may be an issue. All suggestions welcome, but a lake with good structure and reasonable boat traffic (~1 boat per 10 acres of water) is preferred.

Minnetonka's yer best bet. Probably one of the better muskie lakes in the state and has quite a few decent pike to boot. Also try Medicine for pike, there's a couple of bruisers mixed in w/ the snakes.

Are fish pretty well spread out in Minnetonka or so certain bays hold more fish? I know in lakes around my cabin that are basins connected by narrows the fish tend to stick in the basin they are stocked in.

Musky and pike are all over Minnetonka. Almost any weed edge will hold fish. Get a good map and look for the usual structure and let it rip. I would especially key in on mid lake structure next to deep water this time of year. Early in the morning and towards sunset I like to speed troll spinnerbaits over the milfoil - works for decent pike and the occasional jumbo green carp as well as musky.

Try Lake Harriet. I was just there last night and saw a huge musky. I took my friend's bass off his hook, just a little bass it wasn't anything big, and as soon as I let it into the water WHOOSH! A 36-40" musky came out of nowhere and hammered the largemouth and drove it to the bottom. It seriously came out of nowhere because of none of us had seen it lurking around. Had I left my hand in the water for another second, it probably would have been devoured with the bass. Now I see why musky fishing can become so addicting, what a rush! grin.gif