Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrenPT

Swing hitch

11 posts in this topic

I would like to put a swing tongue hitch on my shoreland'r trailer. I have seen kits at Gander Mountain that you cut the steel tongue and place the swing on it, giving you 21" of extra room. Is this a good way to go, or should I go to what shoreland'r has for a swing hitch? Or, is there something better out there. Thanks for any input.

I just did this little project last summer. I studied the kits availabe and ended up having a local welding shop do it for me. It cost $75 bucks and it looks much stronger than the kits. I am very happy I did it and as I remember the kits were $50+.

Are you talking about the hitch for the trailer swings back to shorten the length of the trailer for storage? If so I havent ever heard of this, and I am interested in doing it to my trailer, because mine doesnt fit in my garage.

4wanderingeyes that is exactly why I had mine done. I had to put it in at an angle to close door. Now I can push straight in with extra room for my lawn mower.

Is it safe? Strong/ I have a 18ft with a 115, does this work with any size boat? I will have to look into this, $75 you say? Thanks, this would save me alot in storage.

It has worked for me for a couple of years and hundreds of miles of trailering. I have an 18' Lund Fisherman with a 175 optimax. The "custom" job I had done is all welded opposed to the bolt on versions you see in the catalogs or sporting good stores. It also has a much larger pin on it.

Thanks randallt, I will check into it!

I am talking about a swing away hitch for the trailer. My boat fits in my garage by 1" and it is a shin buster.

Go to pivithitch.com. They make a real nice do it yourself kit. I just noticed their website is under construction so you may need to call or email them.

I bought my kit last year at northern tool. I think it was between $100-$125. I installed it in about two hours by myself and its held up great every since. I have a 18.5 foot Tracker with a 90 on the back.

I installed the fulton one about 2 years ago. It has worked fine on the trailer. However, if you are going to do it on a bigger boat then I did, I would suggest to go to a custom shop. My trailer was also a shorlander and IMO I didn't like their swing tounge when I saw it.

With my new boat and trailer, the swing tounge is alot beafier then fulton.