• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7-14 and 7-15 Report

A buddy of mine that I met down at UMD came up with his grandpa this weekend to do a little fishing. They are from the Dassel, Hutchinson area so there is not a whole lot of great fishing opportunities down there and they had a blast this weekend.

My buddy and I started out in Black Bay for a few hours on Friday night. My buddies first fish was a 26.5", then I cuaght a 20", and then he caught a 21"...and then we got chased off by the rain. confused.gif We were pulling F13 raps over 6' of water.

Saturday we headed up into Canada and hit up a few lakes, trying to get the multi-species run. We were successful on Crappies, Northern, and Bass, but the walleyes weren't cooperating on the little lake that we tried. The crappies were hitting tubes, the Northern were slamming Bucktails, and the bass liked X-Raps.

Sunday, we started out up in Redgut. And it was great! grin.gif In the first two hours we boated 20-25 walleyes. Most of which ran 12-15 inches, nice eaters, but no big ones like we had hoped for. All the walleyes were caught on a jig and a minnow or a spinner and a Gulp Crawler. The Berkley Bungee Leech produced one fish. The fish were STACKED on the reef edge in about 26' of water. I graphed 16 nice marks in a small area coming up the edge and it wasn't long before we were tearing into them. We chased a few crappie off the Island edges and Reefs in Redgut as well. Nothing huge, but we managed some nice 10.5-11". All the crappies were caught on Southern Pro Crappie Tubes, the Slug was by far better than the Stingers. I went looking for a few bigger crappies up in Porters and Perry Straights, but they were still scattered throughout the area.

All in all a productive weekend and very fun. I can't wait to get up there and troll some Reef Runners for some bigger eyes though.

Yeah well, those walleyes don't even hold a candle to the monters that you guys bagged last time! Those were some really nice fish. I am hoping that I can get a few more of them soon!

Take Care SB!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Dash 1
      I'm the same on honey do lists. I seem to feel better doing my list than my wife's list, even though they my be similar. 
    • Mike89
      these were that way..   I thought the deep fried rocky mountain oysters were better...   😁
    • leech~~
      Yeah, I saw there was a few in the last week or so.  I like the smaller crispy crunchy ones Mike!  
    • Mike89
      they had one in LP last friday night...  smelt were the size of my little finger....   
    • leech~~
      Anyone know of any Smelt fries coming up in Central, MN? I know Brooklyn Park Lions does one on April 18th I thing. 
    • VermilionGold
      Daisy Bay was ice free Sunday evening when we left our cabin 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   This is the time of year some are still ice fishing on the main basin of Lake of the Woods and others are open water fishing out of boats on the Rainy River.  It's nice to have options!   Ice anglers targeting walleyes are being rewarded with good catches of walleyes, saugers, and some jumbo perch.  Most action is in 18 - 25'.   Pike enthusiasts are finding big pike tip up fishing in prespawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  Tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water has been the pattern overall.   Soon, pike will be sliding into back bays to spawn, which creates an entirely different fishing opportunity.  The pike season on Lake of the Woods never closes.  The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches.  All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Anticipation is high for the MN Fishing Opener, which is Saturday, May 11th.  Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are currently staged in many locations along the south shore. On the Rainy River...  Open water has made it all the way to Four Mile Bay.  Walleye fishing and sturgeon fishing has been excellent.  The water clarity is still very good and there are a lot of fish in the river.   Boat ramps are open all the way to Wheeler's Point.  Birchdale, Frontier, Vidas, Timber Mill Park in Baudette, and the Wheeler's Point boat ramp at the mouth of the Rainy River are all open. Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the ticket for most spring walleye anglers.  Don't forget about slow trolling crankbaits against the current as this is a very effective technique this time of the year. Sturgeon are active and being caught on the river as well by both walleye anglers and those targeting sturgeon.  Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is appearing in some of the areas with current such as Flag Island Flats, Minnesota Point and Million Dollar Rock, just to name a few.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.    
    • SkunkedAgain
      I think that Cliff W always used to say that ice out typically came two weeks after Pike Bay, on average.   Black Bay has been open for a few days as well with just ice on the southern shore protecting our docks until the ice flows have melted. The cameras make it look like Head O Lakes is still locked up, but on the Vermilion web cam page there is an island cam pointed at Spring Bay which looks partially open. That's a good sign.   With low temps consistently above freezing in the forecast, I'm with you that it should be mostly open by the end of this weekend.
    • JerkinLips
      Was up Sunday and Monday.  Wanted to put my new (50 year-old) boat into my boathouse but there was still some ice along the shore in Stuntz Bay so I parked it in my garage.  Stuntz Bay was mostly open on Sunday afternoon with a little shore ice and a few ice chunks in the bay and by sisters islands.  Monday afternoon Big Bay was still locked in, but the main body was very dark.  No melting by the shore at McKinley Park other than the small spot right by the landing where water always flows into the lake.  Seeing that Pike Bay cleared April 6th (I believe), I think Vermilion will be ice free a week later (typical) on Saturday, April 13th.
    • leech~~
      Sounds like it's going, anyone been hitting it?  It would be fun to try it again, love me some deep fried Smelt!    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.