• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

pike in the pits

Well now that the dust has settled here we go.

The day started out at around 9 a.m.in the mine pits of Crosby.

Mallard hit the first pike.

They are not skinny pike,real girthy anyway Matt was the netman on that one.

Picture080.jpg

Then I tag this fellar,

Picture070.jpg

They are not long like in some lakes but if you watch the videos you can see how wide they are.

I missed my second on due to the leader giving way.

We left $40 in tackle in the lake as the submerged tree ate their share.

The one I lost was very very very heavy. I had the heat to it & could not lift it.

I know that fish was biiiiiig!

So here's was Matt's 1st pike.

Picture073-1.jpg

Here's Matt's 2nd and biggest pike of the day.

Picture075-1.jpg

Mallard had that one on the day before because it had the hook and swivel in it's mouth yet.

Matt's was a great fishing partner and although the numbers were not there he seemed satisfied with the quality of the fish.

Here's the videos..

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=60ed70fa.flv

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=7a04355f.flv

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=7b436663.flv

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=4e473e8c.flv

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=8aa54426.flv

I would say ,but I'd just as soon not.

I will say we were working the flooded timber with huge spinner baits .Oars-n-mine has a decent assortment .

The word got out 10 years ago & it got fished pretty hard.

I'm gonna leave it at that.

I have a buddy from Crosby that I teach with, he talks about fishing the mines all the time, I will ask him.

Wow nice fish CK! I read your posts from time to time; I'm a friend of Casey and Mike T. If I were you, I wouldn't even mention what region you caught those in...word gets out quick on this forum. Well good fishing.

Oh I've learned my lesson about being specific from some on this site.

That's why I started the Lard lake thread.I guess it's not a good thing to show people where to get them.

So my posts have gone generic.

I did say the pits .The rest is up to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice fish. After seeing this topic, I couldn't help but chime in with some of my thoughts. I've fished the pits quite a bit for northerns in the past, and they are really unique fisheries around here. It's a lot of fun to see your catches and to get to see people having fun fishing. You obviously put in a lot of effort to bring us these pictures and videos, and I enjoy it.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting agin. Thank you.]

As to the fishery I hope these fish are CPR'ed.

Your tackle looked bigger at first but it's the same sized stuff I normally use.

I had young anglers last night so my way changed up a bit to accomodate their abilities.

In the end there are several pits a guy can catch pike in and ceratain situations do occur.

I've seen several over 10 into the 20 range.

th_6158ac0c.jpg

Crappie Keith

I love seeing your videos/photo's you are doing, keep up the good work!

Nice job on the C&R

The best pat of releasing these fish is that they will get bigger.

If we all could see that,then we could openly talk about how ,when,where.

Our resources will be gone if we keep these quality fish.

Taking pics and video allow me to relive the battles each time I view them.

The other thing is now that I know they are in there my confidence is up on catching them because I know they are there,unless someone else came & took them.

Let's all CPR!

Well good for you D.D.

Have you ever seen Loons chasing your baits?

th_2d89dff7.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=2d89dff7.flv

By the bye go hound somebody else Dog!

I've been fishing those pits before the tar too.

Like I said before this is for fun,why make a point of being a Jack!

I've had that happen once, what a show! That's awesome that you were able to get it on camera. Nice fish btw, keith! And I like the quick cpr in the video. How big was it?

You know it's tough to figure as these guys are so fat.

I'm used to a 36" pike being 10 lbs.but in there you can add a few lbs.

I'd guess it to be 8-10.

Fisheye though it was a monster as heavy as it was.

Him and his boys always talk length ,but with pit pike that does not mean much.

Here's what I mean.Look at these 2.1 is from the pits 1 is from a local lake.They are the same length ,but the girth on the pit pike is double.

Picture080.jpg

Picture092.jpg