• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spiny Flea??

Today I had a couple of what I think were spiny Fleas on my line today deep trolling reef runners south of garden island. When I reeled in the lines they each had a small clear gelatinous mass with black specks and very thin hairs.

Anyone else caught any?

We saw some of that clear goop yesterday a couple times whilst flatlining out around Rocky. Saw some last week rigger trolling out from Long Point also.

Fishing Saturday was great....The catching not so great! Our friendly neiborhood CO's checked us and said we were doing as well or better than everyone else and they had been way N as well. Reports at the lauch were for the most part tough except for one fellow who said he was on them good. The catching yesterday was a tad better but still not what I'd hoped after last years crazy fishing around this time.

Up and down barometer does'nt help. It's been a wierd year for me and I have'nt seen good back to back trips. Good in one spot one day and dismall the next or vice versa.

Some of us got rather spoiled last year as the bite was so good here and there around the pond this time of summer.

I doubt I'll ever see another summer as good as last years!

They're out there though......Somewheres!

fiskyknut

Long lined Reef Runners on Arnesens, 12, 16, Little 12 N&S and a couple others today. Very slow, did manage a 29, 2-25's a 24, 4 eaters and a half a dozen dinks. Weather was too nice mad.gif. Normal water levels make the fishing harder IMO, but if the wind stays down a few days, I think fishing will pick up..... I hope confused.gif. Did talk to a group thar smoked em today downrigging. Go north young man- 29'.

later,

toddb

Hey Todd that's an encouraging report for sure! I'll take a "very slow" day such as you had over my slow days!!! I'm back out tomorrow in search of them rascals. I like fishing Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays the best! Weather is sure looking sweet thru the week anyhow. Tomorrows forecast shows 85 with light and variable wind.....Too nice maybe? Too nice to stay home that's for sure!

Take care Todd, should see you out there anytime now. I did see you peeling thru Roseau a coupla weeks back.

Norm

fisky,

If you see this in time and are willing, I will be heading up on Wednesday to Rocky Pt and have free space. I will be thru Roseau about 7 am. Reply to this if interested, I will check here in the morning before I leave.

later,

toddb

Hey Todd ring me in the morning at home. I gots to, or had better check with the mrs maybe! Was N on the pond today, twas darn good with the riggers. This fair weather will make em go go go.

Alarm is set for 0540 but call whenever. Norm

It looks like the lake is going to be infested pretty bad. I was on the north and west sides of the lake on Monday and Tuesday and didn't fine any while crankbaiting or bait fishing but today I downrigged out in front of Zipple and it was a different story. Lots of the little slimy critters. Baits had to be checked every 10 minutes at the longest or there would be a 2 inch gob of them on the line in front of the crankbait. Sure glad those spines don't stick ya. Oddly, there wasn't a problem from about 31 feet and shallower. Steve from Log Cabin said the infestation in the river is worse than the lake. Ugly deal. A BB size split shot a couple feet in front of the bait stops the gob from getting to the bait.

I have been fishing this lake along time and for the first time ever came into contact with these little buggers all over the cables and lines. I sure hope this is as thick as there ever going to get! I have done a little research and I think the baitfish in the lake will be the prey for this exotic predator. I'm preying this will not destroy the wonderful fishery we have enjoyed for so long....

• 2 weeks later...

The spiny waterflea will NOT prey on the baitfish populations, However it will indirectly affect the baitfish populations by preying on native zooplankton. Thus reducing the native zooplankton that the native baitfish will have to prey on...inevitably forcing them to feed on the spiney waterflea, which is detrimental to most baitfish as they have no primary adaptations to feed on such a species.

As scary as it is, it will not be the end of the world. Researchers know little about this invasive species at this point, but work has been done by researchers and graduate students at the University of Minnesota Duluth on the species. Notable work by Prof. Branstrator and his Grad students have studied the effects of the spiney water flea on area lakes in Duluth, including Fish Lake which is the first inland lake in Minnesota to have had a known infestation of the Spiney Waterflea. The puzzling part is the infestation lasted for only two years before the population was exterpated from these waters. Researchers don't know why, but there was some change in the lake that allowed for the elimination of the Flea from the food chain.

With that said there are a few variables that will effect waterflea production in the waters of Rainy Lake, Rainy River, and LOW. Most notable is the water temperature. Cold winters or a cold summer of water temps will eliminate this species from the food chain. The larvae laid in the bottom of the lake will not be able to hatch if the water temps don't reach a certain level.

For more information check out my post on the Rainy Lake forum. Spiney Waterflea Discussion Or try googling the Spiney waterflea. There is a wealth of information available, but stick to the legit government websites that have accurate information.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing Guys!

• 3 weeks later...

You seem to know quit a bit about the spiny flee. Do you or anyone know how it will affect winter fishing? I read your other post which lead me to believe that in the winter time they will sit on the bottom and wait for warmer weather to continue there infestation. I understand cleaning your boat but how do you deal with your other equipment? (ie fishing rods and tackle)

Thanks

Your other equipment will just need time to air dry...unfortunately there is no better way.

And you are right about them lying dormant on bottom during the winter time. The adult flea cannot survive the cooler temperatures so they lay there eggs(which will be dormant for basically 8-9 months until the water warms up) and after the eggs are laid they die.

So it is more of a problem that summertime fisherman need to address. Hopefully this will be like the Fish Lake infestation and blow over in a year or two.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!