• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail Cam Photos - Lets get going!!!

certified jumbo

Finaly a SMOKER comes in! ooo.gif This is with a Moultrie. In 3 days I had over 60 pics of porky here. Looks like hes got a little droptine started on the left beam??? He loves them apples and the camera dont matter a bit smile.gif

Pit48pta.jpg

Get so close I can see all the beading in your horns!!! grin.gif I love it!

Pit48ptclose-up.jpg

Hes older, got one heck of a gut on him...

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• Mark Christianson

• TrophyEyes

• shedfreak

Finally got to my cameras after 6+ weeks.

All 3 cams had full memory cards. So no pics at all in the past week to 2 weeks for them all.

The best I can tell is at least 8 different bucks on camera.

Sadly, nearly every pic of bucks is at night except the one attached and one other. Already nocturnally moving, and not even pressured by hunting yet. Argh! Not again this year.

cdy0024mediumel6.jpg

cdy0129mediumuc6.jpg

cdy0136mediumxi0.jpg

them are some nice pics BLB, what are they feeding on there? Looks like a very nice bachler group.

Are you serious? Salted Sunflower seeds? What flavor do they like the best, BBQ, Dill, or original? I guess they like salt and they get nutrition from the seeds, its not completely out of question.

I got 500 lbs for free, and feed the animals with them.

I suppose I will have pics of a bunch of guys with beers in their hands digging through my seed piles now. grin.gif

I work with/for Davids Sunflower Seeds so I am going to have to get some.... for Free of course. I am a little skeptical, but it seems to be working. I may mix them in with some apples and see what I see.

You have nothing to be skeptical about...

The deer love the salted in shell seeds. I had a 256 MB card full of images overlooking seeds. This doe is drooling, she loves them so much.

cdy0128mediumci9.jpg

Quote:

Salted sunflower seeds.
grin.gif

Where or how do you get/buy salted sunflower seeds like that in bulk?

My buddy makes flavored seeds, and he had this batch of 500 lbs that he said were stale, so he gave them to me.

He gets them from Red River Seed or something like that.

No clue where you would get them in bulk salted otherwise.

You can get sunflower for wildlife at Fleet or any Ag store. But its not very good on the budget to be feeding deer with it if you ask me.

I just got lucky to have a connection on it.

I know that David Seeds has a baseball team bucket at Walmart. I am going to buy the big bags at Walmart for about $3. Now here is the question for everyone. Once the season starts and you can't bait for deer, but who is to say you can't eat them in the stand? I suppose if they are enticed by the smell, it could attract game still. Same with apples and apple cores? What would be the ruling on that one. I suppose if we go to much more into this conversation we should move it to a new post.

Deep thoughts. shocked.gif

I cant wait to see reports in the Cuffs and Collars in Outdoor News:

"Man ticketed for eating an egg salad sandwich, and dropped some of the lettuce on the ground while archery hunting."

grin.gif

Back to the topic. Trail cam pics!

if i could have one thing for christmas it would be this guy on the wall!!! laugh.gif (stealthcam 2.0)

3LR198144.jpg

3LR198247.jpg

3LR198211.jpg

Nice bucks Rot! It looks like you are getting some quality photos. I suppose your hoping to top the nice ones you got last year. Sandman

here are few I got before I brought the camera up north to the hunting shack. See if you can tell which buck needs to be managed out of the herd smirk.gif

MDGC0059.jpg

MDGC0013.jpg

MDGC0015.jpg

Neither! I have heard that studies are now saying spikes have just as much potential as forks or sixes to become big bucks and that it is an old wives tale to think they won't.

They do have potential to become big bucks. That is what I read anyways. They most likely won't be part of the dominant breading population the first year anyways.

i think that culling "poor quality bucks" from your hunting ground to "improve genetics" is the biggest farce in the hunting world. Unless your huting land is 10 square miles, it just wouldn't work.

It is a known fact that the majority of young bucks will disperse the area where they were born. Some studies have shown young bucks will travel anywhere from a few miles to 20 miles and even further. it is natures way of preventing imbreeding.

also, a lot of smaller antlered deer grow small antlers their first year because they were born late and are still playing catchup from going into their first winter undersized. energy taken into the body always goes towards the deers overall health and body size, then into the antlers.

this is one of the theories why an equal doe to buck ratio will promote bigger bucks. when there are more does than bucks, some does will end up being bred later in the fall and thus will have their fawn(s) late the next spring which often causes the fawn (if a male) to have small antlers during its second summer.

apparently you haven't read about it much. It has been studied over and over again and poven that it does work. If you choose not to do it more power to you, but I am going with the experts on this one and taking out undersirable bucks. Nuff said, let's get back to some pics boys and girls

what experts are claiming that taking out spikes improves genetics. trying to improve antler genetics in a wild free roaming deer herd is about as impossible as it gets.

most bucks in mn dont live long enough to even reach their gentic potential. how could anyone possibly know that a 1 1/2 yr old deer has bad genetics and won't turn into a trophy deer.

B. Amish, you are 100% correct! If you wanna cull deer effectively you better wait wait until theyre about 4 1/2 years old. They have found many spikes that grew to be Boone & Crockets! Even a buck with poor genes would still be a trophy to most at maturity!!! Let them go, you never know for sure....