Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sue

Vermilion river

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone fish the river anymore...how is it for northern/musky...where can you put in at....I went when I was a kid and had to put in at the bridge and go down the narrow creek..is that still the same confused.gif

I fished it one day in early June right at the (Contact Us Please) near VDL, to the rapids about a mile down. Wouldn't recommend that area - a couple snakes, one big smallmouth follow, and that was it. There are a couple musky in that area, but not enough action overall, and a lot of boulders to ram into.

That's pretty good, I spelled dam wrong and got called on it by this site. Anyway, I fished from the DAM near Vermilion Dam Lodge until the rapids about a mile down....

Sue,

The stretch between two mile and eight mile creek is best for fishing. Mostly smallies and northerns. Good numbers and a lot of fun. You will likely have it to yourself. Your resort should have a canoe that you could use. Drop in at two mile creek and canoe into the river, would make a great day trip.

Doug

i used to guide the area doug just talked about...you can catch alot of walleyes and some jumbo perch.....also the pike and northern and i would imagine there are those muskies in there too......the trip up two mile creek can be hard on a prop...take an extra.....there are ribbons to mark a shallow spot....but the water may be down...so its all real shallow....just take your time.....bugs may also be a factor....can get alot of deer flies and such......doesnt sound great ....but it can be of some fun in there....depends what you want to put into it....

Thanks for the info..we would defintely need to rent a small boat or canoe...my boats prop would be tore up in no time.(ita a searay I/O).problem is I dont think voyageurs cove rents canoes or boats to take off the property....thats my goal this year to try the fishing over there...it was great fishing back in the day not to mention scenic..willing to make a day of it if it means good fishing....thanks again sue

you could rent me for a day grin.gifbut yes it can be fun in there....have fun!

Do you still guide on the river?? we will be up july 21st through the 28th

i sure would...been awhile...would be fun

Thanks Im taking your # with...if fishing is slow on the lake ...that might be the back up plan to go over to the river..thanks Gary smile.gif

How was the fishin sue?