• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's your policy?- Tree stand etiquette..

Rost

Last night I landed permission to hunt two awesome tree lines on one farmers property. While chatting with the farmer, I mentioned to him that I know one fella always hunts the south tree line, so I'll leave that alone and hunt the north tree line. The farmer kinda smurked and said, "hunt them both if you want to, that guy hasn't asked for permission for a decade! He just kinda thinks it's his own tree line." At this point, I am still thinking I should not stir the pot and hunt the north trees.

So, here's the second part. I go out to the north trees and immediately see a permanent stand. It wasn't freshly built, but after climbing up the ladder, it is certainly still useable. Hmmm (I'm thinking), what if someone plans to hunt here this fall?? Since I have not seen anyone hunting these trees in years, I still plan to hang one of my stands there.

Both of these tree lines are 1/2 mile long, 30 yrds wide, and thick with brush. So, in theory, there would be enough space for more than 1 hunter, but that's not what I have in mind.

So my questions are..

1. Do I hang my a stand in the south treeline and not care how the guy feels that has been hunting it w/o permission?

2. How far from the permanant stand (in the north trees) is appropriate to hang my stand? (just in case someone else plans to hunt it.)

3. Should I forget it and look for another area?

4. Maybe I should just hang my stands in both locations and not worry about it and then pee on a few trees to mark my territory wink.gif??

Fencelines are tricky. I was hunting a fenceline one opener of slug opener and as it got light out I could see another hunter about 150 yards away, hunting the same fenceline, facing me. He had permission from the landowner to the north and I had permission from the landowner to the south.

Another tricky thing about hunting fencelines is, will you only shoot the deer on your side of the line or will you also shoot one if its on the other side?

Are you going to be bowhunting or gun hunting? What do the owners of those other stands do, gun or archery?

I guess what I would do is your option number four, only pee on the trees with the other stands in them smile.gif Hang your stands so you would get first crack at the deer with the prevaling wind, probably west. Also be prepared to get your hunt interrupted by the other hunters. I'd definately talk to them before you gun hunt!!!

I guess I'd look for the best spot in the North treeline & set a stand up there. If the permanent is in the best spot, look for the second best spot & hunt them both, assuming you find out the permanent's not being used. Obviously I don't know the country, but there could be deer crossing that fenceline in several places over a half mile I'd think.

Neither one of the tree lines are on a fence line. So there won't be issues with other land owners and permission. Just the people who assume they have permission.

I will just have to get my stand out there are hang a line from it asap and see what happens.

Refer to the 'Bowhunters Creed"

Line 5 reads

I will assist all bowhunters in locating a place to hunt, but I will not impose myself knowingly on another bowhunter.....

i would find a place on the north side. its better to not be competing with someone. unless you can hunt the south without cuting each other off.

Um, would be a different story if the guy had permission but it sounds like he doesn't. So I would hunt wherever you want, including from the permanent stand and show anyone who challenges you a letter you get from the farmer giving you permission. Gun season, however, I agree with BlackJack in safety first. I don't think you have to contact the guy. But wear lots of orange and use a BRIGHT flashlight to get to stand. Rather be alive, even if it means jumping a buck.

I would get in there and pick out a tree. If he has a problem tell him to talk to the owner. I do not think you are in the wrong by setting up on both lines.

Well, I put a stand out on the north tree line today. I left the south one alone.

I think you did the right thing. This other hunter kind of sounds like that "old-timer" that's hunted this property for many years. I'd give him his space until you know a little more about him. Is he a bowhunter or a gun hunter, or both? If this other guy is a fellow bowhunter, I would think that you will run into each other sooner or later. Who knows, this guy might just tell ya to feel free and hunt from "his" permanant stand too.

Quote:

Refer to the 'Bowhunters Creed"

Line 5 reads

I will assist all bowhunters in locating a place to hunt, but I will not impose myself knowingly on another bowhunter.....

I would sure amend that to mean all bowhunters LEGALLY HUNTING WITH PERMISSION and certainly NOT apply it to trespassers who are breaking so many rules of ethics that they are giving all of us who hunt a bad name. Many farmers have stopped allowing hunting due to trespassing.

I think it pretty much boils down to what the landowner says. Being you indicated the area is not ajacent to other landowners, the other hunter is clearly tresspassing. I would discuss with the landowner how he wants to handle it. Does he know the guy? Does he want the guy out of there but was afraid to challange him? What would he want you to do if you run into or confront the guy. Remember, you landed the great spot, so make sure the landowners wishes are known and your actions are communicated to him.