Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutman

To kill a fox

7 posts in this topic

I've got a red fox in the area.It has taken a couple of my neighbor's chickens and has come real close to getting one of mine.I saw it again last night near my coop and then my german sheperd chased it away.Does anyone know of a surefire way to get it other than the obvious hope of getting a good shot at it?

The season on fox is:

10/20/07 - 03/15/08 Fox - Gray and Red Fox opener

I would call the DNR and get a permit because of damage.

Set up a trap or two on the edges of the coop.

I know the law allows the killing of a dog that is killing livestock and it would seem that the law would allow killing a fox that is killing livestock...but you never know.I'll check with the DNR.Having 3 dogs myself,traps are a concern but,might just be my only option.What would be a good bait for fox?

I've trapped about a gabillion fox in my life.

Good bait is pretty much anything you would also use for coon, skunk, possum, etc. Raw fish, chicken, skinned out muskrat.

Hey Amous Slade. Have the old widow Tweed take it to the game preserve for safety, and there he can fall in love with Vixey, a beautiful female fox!!!! Just like in the movie Fox & The Hound. Sorry couldn't resist!!!

why is there a season on fox anyways? im sure its been discussed on the forums before but i never did understand why fox are protected with a season and coyotes are open year-round. has there been an over harvesting of fox in minnesota? are the numbers down that bad? is everybody and their mother out gunning and trapping for them now with above average fur prices?

You may obtain a depradation permit from DNR. We have a couple foxes around our place. They had three little red rascals this spring. Fifty years ago I would have blasted them. I now am old enough to know better.

Everybody's gotta eat and everybodys gotta have some place to hang out.

However; I agree that IF the fox gets to be TOO much of a problem something has to be done. grin.gif