Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Covey

Ideal Jigging Rods

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the perfect setup for jigging walleyes. What are your favorites. Thinking about a Cabels's IM7. What about IM8?

I think there's a bunch of manufactures that make decent rods.

Why are you going to buy one?

Did you break your old one?

Are you just getting into jigging?

You could spend 50$ -400$

My advice is to get a medium action to medium light.

I would also ask you to think about warrenty.

What about modulus content and guide construction.

Grandt rods make there own blanks & when making the rod the spline is in correct position. They use Titantium oxide guides with stainless steel seats.Graphite reel seats and AA cork handles.Add in an unlimited lifetime wareenty and the fact that they are made in Illinois,USA you could not buy a better rod.

They are so sensitive.The rods have awesome power for great hooksets and for no matter the reason ,break one & they'll give you a new one.

I've been using them for awhile now & it's truely amazing at how many more fish I'm catching due to feeling the bump and the fights are way more fun with a rod that works for you not against you.The All American line runs about $147 but there are deals were a guy could get 20% off.

I was once told that a great jigging rod is a Fly Rod with a spinning reel on it. Never tried it but it sounds feasible.

My Jigging set up is a Guide Series from Gander Mountain with a Pflueger Trion reel, I think its the 4730 or the 4735 I am uncertain of the rod model # but it a ML 6 foot.

Works great for me hope this helps.

I like the St. Croix premier rods, which are not as expensive as their top of the line but are excellent. Cost is under $100. I like rods that are stiff but not too stiff. My St. Croix is 7 feet long and 3-piece because I use it for travelling. It's a great fishing tool, and very high quality.

I don't think I agree with the fly rod analogy because the rod should be stiff enough for good hook sets. A fly rod isn't really made for hook sets, they're made to be limber so the fish can wear itself out without straining the leader. At least that's true until you get into the very heavy fish fighting rods that are used for tarpon.

Cabelas tournament zx 1500/xml 6' ML combo...I own one of these and it is the most well balanced rods i've ever had...that and 6lb fireline crystal make for a very sensitive jigging rod.

G.Loomis Walleye Series 6'2" Medium power 1/8 - 3/8 oz. Fast action. This is the worlds best jigging rod.

St. Croix Avid 5'9" ML extra fast, Plueger President reel, Power pro 8-1. Great for vertical jiggin cool.gif

I just purchased (okay for this summer) a Limit Creek (a FM sponsor) 6'9" ML rod, they call it the smoothie. I use 8/3 fireline crystal with a fluro leader. Awesome set up, awesome rod, definately can feel the differences on bottom structure.

New this year, I have had the opportunity to use the Jason Mitchell Guide Series rods. Which are by far the best jigging and rigging rods I have used...

The 5'9" medium power with the extra fast tip is a great jigging rod. Teamed with a Pfluger President, the rod balances out great. I am hooked on these rods!!!

Do a search and you can find more info on the rods...