• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stop the madness

subzero

I enjoy reading most of the post here, but lately things seem to be getting out of hand. There is a camp that says, in order to be good stewarts of the natural resource ( fish) we can only set the hook so many times because of the mortally rate. Other say that they know how many fish is enough for any one person to take and be satisfied. Others that think all fishing should be catch a release. Each group have valid points and should and I belive are considered in the daily bag limits, slot size. As sportsman and (including the ladies)it may be time to show confidence in the DNR for being able to provide us with the fishing Mille Lacs has produced this year so these discussions can take place. There may not be a perfect answer for all problems but I remember Mille Lacs being called the dead sea, home of the quater pounders and other names to discribe a lake that had sub par fishing. Lets face it, if you are looking for a fighting fish the Walleye won't make the top 4 in many books. Just some thoughts, I will get off the soap box.

These arguments will arise every time unplanned changes occur to the walleye keeper slot on Mille Lacs. This is no different than 2002. Same situation, same reactions.

I wouldn't say it was unplanned. People need to realize that in order to keep this fishery at the quality that we are all enjoying this year, we have to trust the experts. Its easy to be an armchair quarterback here, but its about fishing. I would rather catch more fish and worry less about what I'm gonna keep than spend all day fishing hoping to catch SOMETHING.

Of course someone is gonna question what makes an expert, but unless you are a fisheries biologist or other scientist who moitors these lakes and their trends, you can't say. ANyone who has been on the lake for 30yrs knows that good years are good and bad are bad, but since people have started to learn how to manage these fisheries, the highs are higher and the lows are less frequent. There is a learning curve and we have to be patient.

I have fished mille lacs for six years now and I just can't wait til I go again. Winni, LOW, and even northern MN does not produce like Milly. Slot doesn't change my mind to go or not, Its about the BIG fish you get in MINNESOTA and not traveling to Canada to get it. Enjoy the fishing folks while it last. Not to many lakes in Minnnesota that you can go out everday and catch 22"-28" fish. Unless you have a honey hole,Which I do and mille still brings me back. I'll fish it every year to hopefully get my wallhanger. I sure hope the DNR knows what they are doing! Have Faith...............

Fishforever!!!!!!!!!!

Cmon people, will you please quit giving the DNR so much credit to managing the lake. The one and only reason they tighten the slot to 2"s is because of the legalalities of going over a harvest number that IMO is way way under what can safely be harvested. If it wasn't for the legal fact that the resource has to be shared with Gill Netters, they would never change the slot in mid stream so drastically. So please keep in mind that it really isn't a managment tool more than it is a way to keep other parties from crying about non-indians breeching a number. There were walleyes in there way before the Chippawa settled there and there will be walleyes in there long after we are gone.

Quote:

I think subzero is right, either put up or shut up. This issue is not going to change in the near future so deal with it or go somewhere else!

Wow... Pretty harsh...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and point of view.

Believe it or not some people actually like to take a meal of fish home to eat. That doesn't make them bad people.

I don't think that by saying:

The DNR is always doing exactly the right thing, all the time, on every lake, and their management style is exactly right all the time, no matter what they do or who's business they hurt, is one opinion and if you don't like it go away: speaks for everyone.

I try to keep an open mind and look outside the box.

Quote:

They sure are not doing to bad on the other 9,999 lakes. Do you think all the lakes have naturally spawning walleyes?

Maybe I sent the wrong message, I'm not slamming the DNR, in fact I would love to see the way they would manage the fishery without any political and legal influences. But these harvest numbers are negotiated with band members and they (we) are legaly bound to them. If the numbers are exceeded like they were in 2002, then there will be alot of whining and possibly even different courses of action in the future. Just trying to say that the slot was not changed for the better of the fishery, but to stay within legal harvest limits.

Quote:

I think subzero is right, either put up or shut up. It is so sad to hear someone that says the slot ruined their vacation in July or August. Come on people, if keeping fish is a huge priority for you plan your trip in May or June. This issue is not going to change in the near future so deal with it or go somewhere else!

Not sure where you get this from, maybe from another thread, but I don't see any of this discussion here.

You know what? That's it, I've had it with the stinking walleye fishing on Mille Lacs and the rules, regulations, slots, ethics, I'm right, you're not, etc. I'm done with walleyes. I'll just fish muskie from now on, they're easy to catch on Mille Lacs, too. I heard they are great smoked grin.gif

There I deleted my post for all that I offended. I was just using exaples from other threads. I have to say however that it is not going to change! I also keep walleye for a good fish dinner. But I am not going to sit back and bash the DNR and whoever else comes into my crosshairs. It is a court decision and we must abide by it, plain and simple. Go ahead and jump on this post, I am out on this one. Good luck fishing

You use the skin from a 18 1/2" smallie smirk.gif, use the meat on the tail end of the muskie (it dries faster and its sweeter) roll it tight and let it dry.

The key is letting it dry, and use a big lighter grin.gifgrin.gif.

The DNR is doing a fine job in my opinion. Wether is be legal reasons or management reasons they are doing a fine job. I couldn't give a rats behind if I couldn't keep 4 fish all summer, I just love to fish and catch great numbers of awesome fish.