Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Small Boats On Leech

9 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about taking a weekend trip to leech. Are there any state/national forest campgrounds on the lake? More importantly however...I have a 14' aluminum with a 7.5 HP, big waters don't intimidate me so much as boat traffic does, so I guess I'd like to know where some areas are on the lake I could go to to avoid lot's of traffic. I've heard about the good bucketmouth fishin on leech so that along with pike is what I'd mostly be targeting. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

14’ and 7.5 hp on a calm day is ok. Trouble is, calm can go to 3’ waves pretty quick. I wouldn’t be concerned about the boat traffic, it’s a big lake and traffic spreads out. Getting from one place to another with your boat will take some time.

You could camp at Federal Dam and trailer your boat to Battle Point and launch at the public landing. Battle Point will give you direct access to Boy Bay, which is excellent for Large Mouth and Northern. Look back at some of the previous posts. There are a number of them that address the Boy Bay area and camping options.

All the warnings in the resorts say "16 foot minimum". I fished boy bay and didnt hardly see a boat all day on a saturday.

I'd be sure to watch the weather closely. I've been out in a 16' boat on Leech and wouldn't want to be in much less.

Can't say much about the bucket mouth fishing, but there is a very nice federal campground at Stoney Point as well as Federal Dam.

We stay at Sugar Point and have no problems with a 16 ft but, if it is not a calm day, I'm not sure I would go too far in a 14 ft. I used a 14 ft with a 15 hp in 1997 and was fine for a weekend (it stayed fairly calm) but, you really have to watch the winds and waves. Using the Battle Point public access would be best.

Well if it's windy I can always fish kabekona or shingabee bay. Upon looking at a map of leech, it looks like it could me difficult accessing boy bay with my rig (or lack thereof). I will figure something out though, I'm too stubborn not to.

Your choices are not too bad for a windy day. Also, you should be able to access Boy Bay by using the public launch at Battle Point. Look at your map, it is directly north of the north tip of Bear Island and near Sugar point.

You'll be fine launching from battle point. Even in the wind.

I'm leaning towards camping at stony point being that it's closer to walker. Is the campgrounds at federal dam a state/national forest campground? First come first serve?