Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCF

Gun for my daughter

10 posts in this topic

My daughter has started hunting some and I am wondering what other women are using for a gun. Looking for a 12 gauge auto. She didn't like my Browning. Any suggestions???

If you are talking shot gun, I would go with a 20 ga, 12 ga is alot of gun for a young girl just starting out.

My daughter just passed firearm safety training and while there she shot a Mossberg 500 Bantam and loved it. I bought her one, but the only problem is that it is a pump, but she loves it. She has a small frame and it fits her very well.

The recoil is very comfortable for her and the gun wasn't very expensive.

My .02

She is 30 years old and pretty strong. She can handle a 12 gauge. She did last year, but like i said she didn't like the gold hunter. Just wondering if anyone had any other good options to look at. Thanks

I have a remington 1187 sp, it has been a good gun for me, no problems, very accurate, I have had it for about 10yrs.

I'm a bit prejudice, but I have always been a fan of 16 ga's....actually bought 3 more this year, great for birds and have taken many whitetails with.....

All the guys with 12 vs 20 talk, just to throw in another topic, also own 4 12's, never owned a 20.

I would say the Stoeger 12ga. Parts made by Bennelli so its sure to last. But i have shot one with 3 1/2 inch shells and i will say that the gun has a really good recoil resistance. Just my thought.

Get her a gas operated semi auto 12 gauge. No matter how tough or strong she is she will appreciate a lighter recoiling gun. There are plenty of choices. Personally I like the Beretta AL391 for durability, reliability and soft shooting. It has an adjustable stock - relatively speaking - and is reasonable in the weight category too.

Good luck,

gspman

Gauge, make and model should be the last considerations when purchasing a shot gun.

Look at fit #1 issue, weight, action type some pump actions are to long of pulls, some autos can slam a person.

Take her somewhere like Cabelas to kick the tires around and see what feels good. Then go to a quality distributer like a gun club or store such as Ahlmans in Morristown and ask to test fire the same type and style. Then you'll know what works then research that type and check it's reliability function etc.

Also remember is this a single use weapon or do you plan to have it run different tasks, upland,waterfowler, deer, skeet etc.

Just my opinion but these are more important that the flavor of the day. Have some fun with your shopping and good luck...

Before you jump into the "gas-a-matic" mold, have her try an over-under gun. She really only needs two shots and the O/U is strong,simple and reliable. Remington has come out with a nice new model.