• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gulp Alive?

Kyle Sandberg

Has anyone tried this stuff yet? How does it work and does it justify paying the 30$for the tub?

Haven't used it, but about got sticker shock from it. I guess the redeeming quality is being able to dunk your worms back into the water and reuse them...Get them charged up with all that good scenty stuff. Too rich for my blood though.

I hope someone chimes in with some info because the stuff looks pretty cool but does it work???

If it is anything like the gulp plastics I will be picking one or two up. I have caught more fish on gulp plastics than my buddy fishing right along side of me with live bait. I have heard from a couple guides and pros that they are the real deal.

I picked up the small container of the natural color 3 inch minnows. I have tried them on both river and lake fishing and I am a believer. Walleyes seem to love these things and the smallys in the river also enjoyed them. The price is definitely high but they seemed to last a long time in the lake. When fishing them in the river they didnt last as long because I was dragging them over the rocks.

I am really looking forward to bringing these up to the boundary waters later this summer!

grin.gif

I haven't seen anything on this. Can you point me to an explanation of what this is, what it's supposed to be good for, and how it is supposed to be used?

Thanks.

I had a request for it up here (Kenora, Lake of the Woods) A guide who's out everday wanted me to carry some in my store. Said, everywhere he's been it's been sold out.

He says it's better than traditional gulp, because you can re-scent it and bring it back to life, as opposed to Gulp drying out even in an hour or so. He's tried it and tested it and wants more.

I work it on a 1/8oz-1/4oz jig head and bounce it along the bottom. It is very good for walleye, lm bass, & smallys.

As stated it is spendy, but when you consider that you can put all of your other gulp in the tube and it will increase its moisture content by 20% in an hour it is a truely remarkable product. As far as does it work? I have used it on a limited bases, just got some on monday, but i have caught eyes on the leeches when my clients were blanking using the real stuff. I am not totally sold but i think it will be the ticket for guys and gals going into the boundry waters and up into canada. Jonah

So far, this product is getting the same kind of fanfare that power baits got. I tried power baits and all they did that was different than my other plastics was stink real bad.

Anybody got a more positive and less cynical view of freshwater Gulp?

I have used a lot of scented and non scented plastics and Ill tel ya this much the Gulp products along with the walleye line of Power Baits gets used a lot in my boat. Anything from Rockbass to Lake Trout hit this stuff. Im a believer and thats half the battle right there.

Ok, anoter question. Doest the alive products look (feel, move) more like the real thing.

I was extremely skeptical of the product when it was introduced a couple of years ago. Now it is my go to bait. The 4" minnow fished on a mushroom head jig is a fantastic multi-species bait. They do not hold-up as well as other plastics. You can get 2 or 3 walleyes per bait. With Bass you can get 4 or 5 fish per bait, if they don't shake it off the jig when they jump. I've had gulp out fish live bait a number of times this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I saw a tub of this stuff at Wal-Mart today and I was impressed. Looked real and moved freely. Didn't buy any but I think I'll have to get some leeches some. Also, the tub at Cabela's is 30$ and Wal-Mart was only 20$. ?????? I think I know where I'm going to get that product from.

I've been conducting my own little unscientific experiment with Gulp worms for panfish and I'm not overly impressed with the results to date!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but side by side, a real worm will get the bite everytime before the Gulp. The fish seem to nip at it and the fish I have caught, seem to be the smaller ones.

The stuff looks real, smells funky and has a good wiggle, but I haven't been able to get it to work on a par with live bait, or plain old feather jigs.

Maybe different varieties of the stuff work better? Maybe it's the particular lakes I have been using them on? I don't know, I get more play on unscented plastics then I do on the Gulp? Other people swear by the stuff?

I am unimpressed with it so far. I had Gulp Alive leeches for in Canada this past week. We had a great leech bite going on with the real deal. We were starting to run short on them. So I decided to give it a try well it didn't have the same results as the real deal. That doesn't mean I am going to give up on them though.

Yeah, me neither...it took me awhile to start believing in the plastics and I have been getting some good fish using them....maybe it's a confidence/presentation thing?

When Berkley first started to produce powerbaits, they were much tougher/harder. About 12 years ago (or so) it seemed that they changed the mix and made them much softer. I haven't fished with Gulp products yet, but it sounds like the same thing - extremely soft.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in the catch rate - but it sure makes a difference in the wallet. Oh well, it's fishing, and you're supposed to spend lots of money, right? wink.gif

I used the Alive product this past week in the NW Angle

and was impressed. Spendy. Tipped the darn thing over and

spilled most of the liquid. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Bottom bouncers with crawlers had the same good results as the Alive. My two cents.

I really like Gulp... I havn't gotten to use it as much as i would like but i will be planning on using it alot more. It has been a hot on the BASS tour for the smallies. I know that the Smallies love the stuff!! I will be doing some looking into hte Gulp Alive. There is only on bad thing about it....The price!! I thought Lucky Craft Crankbaits were to much for a crank bait. smile.gif

I have not used the Alive version, but the regular Gulp stuff seems to work great for me. I am planning to get a tub of Alive later in the season for fall smallies and wallies.

My question for the Gulp users....Has anyone had any luck with the Turtle Worm version? They seem to be stiffer than the leeches and minnows. I tried to t-rig one on a smaller hook and it didn't seem to work too well. I have black ones and red ones.

Thanks,

Tom

Gulp! Alive! absorbs up to 20% of its weight in attractant and has 34% better swimming action that original Gulp!

You can add your original Gulp! into the liquid, but don't leave it in there longer than a day, as it will cause it to become soft (less durable). I've done this and after returning it to its normal bag for a while it gains its durability back.

You can put the Gulp! Alive! baits back in the bucket when you're done fishing with them and not worry about contaminating the rest of the baits. You can also use the liquid to re-charge your bait if you've been fishing with it for while and it has lost some of its potency.

The buckets come in pint and quart sizes. Retail should be $19.99 and $39.99 respectively.

The shapes that are available now, in freshwater, are 3" and 4" Minnows, 2" and 3" Minnow Grubs, and 3" and 5" Leeches.

Minnow colors are: Black Shad, Chartreuse Shad, Emerald Shiner (which has a translucent belly), Pumpkinseed, and Smelt.

Minnow Grub colors are: Pearl While and Chartreuse.

Leech color: Black.

There are also three Gulp! Alive! spray bottles available: Nightcrawler, Crawfish, and Garlic. These go for $8.99 each, so when you add that price to what you get in the bucket it makes a little more sense.

Don't forget, you can still use Berkley's $5.00 Mail-in rebate on these products (two per household for this year).

I've used Gulp! Alive! and have had some really nice fishing days on it, but I'm partial. There are plenty of success stories already posted in this thread. Keep them coming.

DSC02555.JPG

Yes, I'm sure.

The 5" became available after the rest of them, so it's just now starting to get to stores. You should, however, already have seen the 5" Jumbo Leech in regular Gulp! at stores, right?

Do I read that right that the bottle says "Swimming Mullet" on it?

wow

This stuff is very popular in Florida inshore fishing. It allows you to get a bait past the bait stealers and to the fish you want to catch. The guides are using it, so it must be pretty good.

Ran to Cabelas today and did a little shopping and the prices there were double what I've seen at other places. It was 40$ for a tub of leeches. shocked.gif

Still like the product tho.

WOW...$40 bucks? I dont know if i could pay that much for some lures!!!

40 bucks is for the large tub. 19.99 for the small tub. same price no matter where you buy it.