Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zobs

...Lake Insula.....

3 posts in this topic

..the six hour paddle into Lake Insula again proved to be worth the sweat and toil. Tasty 'eyes', trophy pike, and a growing population of feisty smallmouth greeted our every cast. Several years ago, a few nuisance smallies would nip your lures and bait. The past few years have found the size and number of smallmouth intriguing. And now, for a lake that DNR surveys claim to harbor no smallies, we find ourselves battling 18"+ brutes. This may bode poorly for the walleye fishery, but it makes mid-day fishin much more fun!!! Top water action was great, but anything with a hook seemed to work!! Our largest pike topped out at 34" and several 'bad boy' predators edged the 30" mark. ( of course, few of us relish the difficult and dangerous task of

landing and releasing these lure stealing, canoe wrecking, finger slicing monsters...be barbless for a happy picture takin ending....) The walleyes again proved to be an early morning-late evening bite. Crystal clear waters gave up plenty of 15" to 17" eaters. We did mange a few 'eyes' miday, and these were caught top water with skitter pops in 8' fow in the weeds!!!...unusual, to say the least, but fun.

Now don't be thinkin I'm givin up a secret fishin spot, as Insula is a popular destination for those seekin fine fishin. Past Insula there is a lake that boasts world class fishing...now that is a secret we will keep (:

Good to hear you had an excellent trip! I have been to Insula and the "lake beyond" and know a guy who caught one heck of an eye' out of there a few years ago. I dont think the smb will affect the walleye fishing one bit as it hasnt in other lakes in the BWCA.

Steve

I really don't think the "lake beyond" it that much of a secret....if anyone has put any time into fishing that area.

Glad Insula did well for you! It's a pretty good lake!