• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hoppers

WxGuy

I've seen a lot of juvenile grasshoppers jumpin' around. Hopefully we have good hopper fishing this summer.

This time of year is my favorite to get on-stream for trout. There's always cold water to be found if you look in the right places, and lots of bugs...and smaller crowds, if any people at all. cool.gif

i spotted a bunch of small hoppers yesterday as well. i'll be over on the brule throwing some hopper patterns sometime this week, i've got to recover from the algoma coma first though. grin.gif

i was useing an adams hopper as an indicator last week here on the west coast with an olive beadhead dropper. got three on the dropper but broke it off on a better fish. i tied on what i thought was a simmilar nymph. after my retie, the fish were all about the hopper. i think i may go strictly hopper this weekend cool.gif

Using my own version of a hopper pattern and using a bead-head hares ear as my dropper, the success rate was about even between the two flies. often twitching the hopper would induce a strike as well. next time out, im thinking of maybe adding a streamer behind my dropper nymph for the trout that seem to want a chase for their meals.