Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heartattack22

99 silverado starting problem...

5 posts in this topic

I have a 99 silverado and if it sits for any length of time it takes a long time to fire. It cranks and cranks and cranks but eventually starts. any suggestions guys?

Last time (only time) I had starting issues with my 99 GMC, they put in a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, cleaned my injecters, and installed a new fuel filter. Thankfully, this work was all covered under my extended warranty. Fuel pump and pressure regulator are fairly typical issues with these trucks.

Could be your problem since it is a fairly common occurrence.

More than likely you are loosing fuel pressure. Whether the fuel pressure regulator is leaking or the fuel pump is bleeding off is the question.

Before starting it cycle the key on for 3 - 5 seconds then off. Repeat 3 times then start. If it starts immediately every time than I would be more confident that it has a fuel issue.

If you have the 4.8 or the 5.3 the regulator should be on the drivers side off the fuel rail. you'll see a vacuum line going to it. Start it and let it run until warm. Take off the vacuum line after your shut it off and see if fuel comes out the nipple. If it does than it needs to be replaced if it doesn't than its time for a fuel gauge to see if fuel pressure is dropping and whether or not the fuel pump is the culprit.

Pretty common issue with these trucks and we've had a couple go bad in our fleet. Regulator is the first place to start looking.

If it's a new body style with the 5.3 and if you do need a F.P.R. the part # is 89060422 and GM's suggested retail price is $96.42.

From what I understand this is not too difficult of a job for the do it yourselfers.