Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Quackaddict9

Universal Sonar trolling motors

Quackaddict9

what excatly are they? does it tell the depth of the water on the trolling motor or do I need to get a sonar/depth finder and hook it up to the trolling motor. I am looking at getting a Minn Kota Power Drive.. the one I'm looking at and the sonar is $100 more, is it worth it?

wishing for walleyes

You hook your depth finder up to it.I like it on my pontoon because my trolling motor is mounted up front so i can see the depths and fish up front.

Random guy

Basicly it has a transducer built right into the trolling motor, all you do is hook up your sonar unit to a power source and the trolling *presto* you are fishing.

I like it since it eliminates the cables running down the outside of the motor shaft.

jimBo

My personal opinion I purchased a minn kota maxim 24v uni last year. I looked at the power drive and did not care for it. If you take your eye off the motor you can twist the cable around the shaft.also you use power from battery witch i did not care for.And also the responce time is slower.

Pherris

I have one and it works fine. The only draw back is that you can not get water temp as there is no sensor for it on 2006 and prior models. I have heard that the newer models have temp capability but not sure if they are out yet. I asked about adding it to my motor (Minkota 101) and was told it would be about $800 so I just get by without it. I have other units on the boat that have temp just none up front. Good Fishing!!

katoguy

The 2007 Universal Sonar 2 (US2) does have temp capability.

Beware: US2 uses a dual beam 200/83 kHz (60 and 20 degree cones). Older Lowrance/Eagle units that run on 192 kHz will NOT work with US2. (Not totally universal.) Lowrance has since seen the light and went to 200 kHz (like Garmin, Humminbird, etc... did years ago.)

US1 used a 196 kHz (14 degree cone) transducer so 192 or 200 kHz sonars were compatible.

Kevin Turner

I like the built in transducer, but too each his own. Don't forget you'll need to buy an adapter cable to fit your sonar unit...Adds @ 20 bucks to the cost.

EBass

I second KT. I run my vex up front so I don't have to keep asking my buddy, "How deep is it?" every 2 mins.

I roll with a 70lb 24V Uni cable driven. I love it, but I have to admit that I stood on the pedal and the metal base of the t-motor trying to sight fish and I think the weight messed up the pedal since it has a sticky spot now when turning. And it never did before until I did that. My bad frown.gif

Water Hazard

EBass-

Not to be a grammar stickler, but wouldn't it technically be "I float..." instead of "I roll"? smile.gif

Quackaddict9

thanks for all the information, good luck on the water.

Juan Grande

The universal sonar won't work with Marcum flashers either. I found that out the hard way.

I still have the flasher on the bow with the ducer on the bottom of the trolling motor. I have a Powerdrive and I can't wrap the ducer cord up the motor shaft because the powerdrive slides up and down when raising and lowering the motor. The cord won't fit through.

Still trying to figure out a work around for that, guess I should have mounted the ducer on the back of the boat.