Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bennybob

Any good Mille lacs lake books????

14 posts in this topic

I just finished reading Joe Fellegy's book, Mille Lacs: 30 years on the big lake. I thought it was a an excellent read. Just wondering if any of you guys knew of any more good books on Mille Lacs? Thx

No, but I would like to read that book. Where did you pick it up?

I picked it up at the library...All i gotta say is WOW I defintly recommend it. These guys back in the day (Fellegy,Barnvalde's) were TRUE Mille lacs fisherman and navigators.Know wonder why they slam the likes of Linder & Winkleman in the book..These guys earned there keep.

Also found out he wrote another book. Rare MN Fishing stories. Wen't to library and found they carried it, but recently had to get rid of it due to poor condition. They said that the Rare MN fishing stories book is out of print. The lady wen't ahead and ordered a dozen copies off Amazon.com and said they should be there within 2 wks. I'm pumped! If anyone knows of any other Mille lacs lake books please fill us in.

I am in the process of reading the book as well. GREAT book, and I DON'T like reading!! grin.gif. I found it on ebay and got lucky and got it for 5 bucks. I have seen it as high as over a hundred on the web... I would definitely recommend the book to anyone..

Okay Russ....and the title to said book is? I wouldn't mind having a couple of books on some of the famous minnesota lakes around the house.

I also have read Joe's book. I especially liked the part where Ron Shara motored up to his launch and asked Fellegy what he was using for bait. LMAO !! Fellegy should have had the TV show !

Quote:

Okay Russ....and the title to said book is? I wouldn't mind having a couple of books on some of the famous minnesota lakes around the house.

"Mille Lacs: Thirty Years on the Big Lake: Memoirs and Secrets of a Walleye Fishing Guide," By- Joe Fellegy- I believe it was published in 1991.

I really enjoyed that book as well. I developed deep, life long impressions of Mille Lacs as I started going to our family cabin there when I was a kid in the 70's. Many of the stories in "30 years on the big lake" take place right through those formative years of my life. So, as he describes bites, places, sites, etc... I can close my eyes and picture them.

There does seem to be a fair amount of venom directed at GPS units, fishing shows, and anyone who has become moderately wealthy through the fishing industry though.

D'oh. Sorry about that Russ, I musta read your post wrong. I thought you were talking about a different book than the others posted. I am in the beginning stages of getting my porch started and want to stock a bookshelf with outdoors books. Got a few already but the ones on the big lakes seem intersting.

No problem. Keep an eye on the internet. You will find the Book(s)at a reasonable price eventually...

I read "Classic Minnesota Fishing Stories: A Rare Collection of First-Hand Accounts, Anecdotes, and Reports" cover to cover probably a dozen times as a kid! This is probably the same book referred to as "Rare MN Fishing Stories" earlier in this thread, as it was written by Joe Fellegy in 1982. I've torn my parent's house apart looking for that book, to no avail. One of the guys in the book was a resident at the nursing home my mom worked at, and she brought the book in and he signed the page that was his story. Pretty cool stuff when you're a 10 year old kid! Thanks a ton for the Amazon idea, for some reason I never would have thought to look there. $1.95 + $4 shipping on Amazon, thanks again!

"Mille Lacs: Thirty Years on the Big Lake: Memoirs and Secrets of a Walleye Fishing Guide," By- Joe Fellegy

This book is at the St Cloud library available for check out is how i read it. You can probably get it delivered to your local library thru the inter-library loan program. If you are not familiar ask your librarian, very cool program very few know about.

Are Steve and Joe Fellegy related.

Reason I ask is that I spent some time fishing with Steve in a few tournaments back in the MWC days and the reference made to a few of the opinions referenced from Joe's book in an ealier post were similar to Steve's. I have a tremendous respect for Steve and Joe and what they've done to inspire and promote fishing in there own way. I'm one of those guys that grew up fishing, managed to fish a little competitively and now that I have two kids under 3 I depend heavily on the technology I can buy, posts I can access on sites like this and watch plenty of fishing shows with my daughters on weekend morning. I depend on these people and products to keep the passion alive until I can teach my daughters to say take me fishing dad. New technology and posts shared offer me much better odds of having a great fishing experience the few times I get out and I'm greatful for that. Would like to hear the views of others on fishing shows and how they market today and what you think technolgy does to or for the sport. I don't want to speak for Joe or Steve and would love to hear from them. The conversations I had with Steve have stayed with me and I understand the points he made.