Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Muzzle loading Qs

7 posts in this topic

I forgot to clean my muzzle -- i know very stupid. It took me 1.5 hours but I think I got it.

Do you guys think it will be ok or is there rust I am not getting?

Silly -- I cleaned my handguns and deer rifle, and shotgun but forgot about the muzzle.

Hard to understand.

The first place I'd worry about is the breach. Make sure your firing hole stays open. The rest you should be able to see. I've had corrosion close a firing hole over an off season and I thought I had that ML cleaned well when I put it away...

LD --

Dumb question but what do you mean by the firing hole staying open?

The nipple (where the cap goes) needs to be clear. Otherwise, you'll hear a small pop, but no roaring boom. And that isn't fun when you have a deer broadside at 20 yards.

Gotcha --

So if that is cleaned up I should be good to go -- will be interesting when I start to sight in the gun this fall.

Well, you should be okay as far as the powder igniting, but a rusty, pitted, or otherwise corroded barrel could cause some accuracy problems. Run some cleaning patches through it until the patches come out of the barrel clean. Then run a few more patches.

If at all possible, clean the gun immediately after shooting.

I can be a bit obsessive when it comes to cleaning my .54, but I think it's worth it.

Ben

That is what I did -- might clean it again.

thanks