• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Torii Hunter

Coach Dog

Quote:

Quote:

Why? There are teams out there that would love to have him on for THIS year. He has plenty of trade value. We should be able to get a least a couple can't miss type prospects for him.

Also, Ichiro hasn't signed anything yet. It has been reported that both sides are close and that it may be a 5-year 100 million dollar deal. Noone knows for sure until it is signed.

Yes we know for sure Ichoro is getting 20 mill per year or more to stay in Seatle.

Which means the very least the Twins could hope to pay Hunter would be 15 mill per year or 60 mill for 4 years highly unlikely he would take only a 3 mill per raise.

Hrbek or Puckett didn't take 20 to 40 mill less to stay here.

He more then likely won't be traded and its doubtful we would get one can't miss prospect and certainly would not get 2 can't miss prospects.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willy

• Jarrod32

• PierBridge

• SledNeck

So you think we'll re-sign him then. I hope so but that's alot of dough for the Twins ownership to be shelling out... It would be an absolute shame to lose him to free agency.

Lets not forget, he is having a career year. He has been hurt often the last few years. He is a career 280 (maybe lower) hitter that averages maybe around 25 HR per year. He has always been streaky at best. And in the past most of his production has been during garbage time against weeker pitching. And please don't brag up his RBI totals, You bat anyone in the 3-5 spot thier whole career they will get some RBI.

Maybe if you have 150 million you sign him but with the Twins pre-set payroll I really don't think they can afford, nor should they, anymore than 8 mil per season for hunter. Just because other teams are overpaying the Twins shouldn't.

Then it ain't worth trading. He better be able to fetch at least one "plug in" type prospect. I don't give a (Contact Us Please) about getting a couple of no-name low level prospects. I we want to win next year with Santana/Liriano, we either keep Hunter and try to resign him, or get something of real value for him.

Ichiro hasn't signed yet. I'll wait and see the final numbers before I speculate Hunter's value.

PS Travis Haefner just signed a deal for 4 years 57 mil.

Morneau, Santana.......where is this money for Hunter going to come from?

Plus I don't see this kind of production from Hunter once he signs the BIG one.

I'm guessing tomorrow Ichiro will be a 100 million lead off singles hitter.... shocked.gif....insane imo.

That really depends on how you look at it. Santana is signed through next year. Morneau is still arbitration eligible.

Really the only two we have that aren't under contract for next season would be Hunter, Cuddyer, and Castillo.

Yes, they should probably be thinking ahead and get Santana and Morneau done this year or offseason. But...

If they are looking like next year is our year, then we could afford Hunter. What they could do is resign Hunter and then this offseason go out and sign some bats. Make a run at it. If it doesn't work, deal them at the deadline. I know this will never happen, but thus far IMO, we have wasted Santana and a very good core group of players by not helping them with one or two decent guys that it would take to win it all.

And yes I agree all salaries are insane. That is why when you see someone like Ichiro get that kind of dough, it makes you wonder what Santana's market is gonna be. Is 25 mil a year top dollar for him? - That might even be low.

We can hope all we want I dont think mn will sign santana, he wont be in our price range! Look for him to be a red sox, or yankee in a couple years confused.gif.

I really have no clue what's going to happen.

I'll still LOVE the Twins is about all I can say for certain! grin.gif

I think Castillo has an option in his contract for next year that gets automatically picked up if he gets so many plate appearances.

Baseball salaries are starting to get ridiculous. A-rod's agent says he could be the first 30-40 million dollar man. Only NY would be dumb enough to pay that and probably the only one who could afford that. Hunter doesn't need the $$ and if he really wants to stay here he will do what some of the others did in the past and sign a fair contract. The more he talks about playing in other places makes me think he wants out and then he will say he can't pass up the kind of money that is being offered. To me it sounds like he wants to "sow his oats", so to speak, and leave for a big market that has more glitz.

I have to agree with you there. He is looking into the future and the new stadium. He will sign and stay on. He is having a break out year. He does the state of MN good on and off the field. Also his inteviews are great for our kids to see what a real baseball player can be like.

Quote:

Also his inteviews are great for our kids to see what a real baseball player can be like.

Not sure what you mean by this comment as alot of the things he says in the media this year have been selfish and pretty dumb....i.e the Robbinson deal where he was upset that so many people would be wearing the jersey when he thought it was going to be only a select few......I like Tori and I hope he stays but he should think before he speaks.....

I thought he made a good point, it was to be an honor wearing the number, it was diminished by being worn by so many. If you say anything about Tori he is old school when it comes to baseball. Kirby taught him well.

I agree with bass, Hunter was right to say that about wearing the Jersey. I guess I don't see how he is selfish at all. Puckett would be proud of him. It will be a sad day in Twins Territory if/when Hunter leaves. laugh.gif

Ichiro just signed an extension with the M's for five years/$90 million...$18m per year. Baseball Tonight the other night they were talking about free agents - including Hunter - and had Hunter pegged around $15m per year.

Quote:

Ichiro hasn't signed yet. I'll wait and see the final numbers before I speculate Hunter's value.

Well at least it wasn't 20 mill 18 mill is bad enough but it helps when your talking 4 or 5 year contracts.

I'm still thinking 15 mill per year for Hunter to keep him minimum but I think he and his agent will want 5 years which puts his contract at 70 or 80 mill......DOAH!

It's not my money SIGN HIM!!!! grin.gif

I think the Twins will offer him around what you are saying, 15 million/year. When Radke retired wasn't his salary right around 12 million/year?? If they paid him that they should be able to get Hunter under contract.

I think pohlad needs to pull out his wallet and get tori johan and justin signed to 4 yr deals or longer id like to see these guys break in the new stadium and dont you think it would also be a big plus to drawing the fans with the likes of these guys in the lineup the twins payroll this year is like 71 million the yankees 189 million and the devil rays 24 million we cant compete with what the yankees payroll is but I do think we could climb the laddder a few notches

Signing him will be banking on future revenues from the new stadium increasing dramatically, which I think would be a good wager...Get them all signed, worry about payroll later...

Quote:

Get them all signed, worry about payroll later...

ahh, the sign of a true armchair general manager.

Quote:

Well at least it wasn't 20 mill 18 mill is bad enough but it helps when your talking 4 or 5 year contracts.

I'm still thinking 15 mill per year for Hunter to keep him minimum but I think he and his agent will want 5 years which puts his contract at 70 or 80 mill......DOAH!

It's not my money SIGN HIM!!!!
grin.gif

It seems like the media usually blows up the numbers higher than what they actually sign for. 18 mil is still a TON for a slap hitting outfielder. Now don't get me wrong Ichiro is a great fielder, base stealer, OBP guy, but that kind of money is putting Hunter in the 15-17 mil a year range I think. frown.gif

My guess is the Twins will offer a 3-year 40-42 million dollar contract. It will be up to Hunter as to where he goes from there. From the Twins perspective, they are probably wanting to keep him around for a few more years so that he gets to play in the stadium and to bridge the gap until their next centerfielder is ready to be called up(who and when is anybody's guess).

After 3-4 years you are probably going to see Hunter start slowing down and usually the Twins like to get the most out of their players and then let them go when they get too expensive and have started past their prime.

From Hunter's point of view, he is looking at his biggest contract if he tests the market. I would say he would have offers in the 4-5 year 65-80 million dollar range.

Hopefully he and the Twins will be able to work something out. Sure be nice to see him patrolling centerfield in 2010 in the new park and NEXT year is when I really think we will need him. Next year is our chance to win it all...

While we were at Yankee stadium for the Twins' series, I talked with a few folks about Hunter. Their standard line was a cheerful, "There's our center fielder next year." (Even though Damon made a great play in center during the get-away day, who could blame their giddiness?) I usually countered with arguments centered around his loyalty to the Twins organization and having a one-team guy like Puckett as a mentor, but I knew the position sounded pretty hollow, given today's totally out of whack salaries. And then, while catching up on my reading of TwinsNotes I come across Torii saying, "All I can do is go out there and have fun. I'm at peace with it right now, but once the season is over with, then I'm going out there to have fun with it. As long as I get to play the game of baseball, it doesn't matter what team I play for." <GROAN>

Don't you just love that smug New York attitude.

Hunter has made all sorts of comments so you really don't know where he stands. One time he says he wants to stay in Minnesota, the other he is talking about how he loves this team or city and how he wouldn't "mind" playing for them.

He will want big money. If we had anyone in line to replace him, I think it's a given we let him walk. However, with noone to replace him, I would guess it's a fairly decent chance we keep him around.

All things being equal I think he wants to stay in Minnesota. However, he likes the big lights and attention he would get in a big market. I wouldn't expect that the "hometown discount" will be that much less than market value. But we will see. Either way it's obvious both he and Santana are a little frustrated with TR and the Twins no contract talk during the season company line. smirk.gif

I wonder how much the A-rod speculation and the Yankees will affect Hunter going to the Yanks. I know the yanks have $ and lots of it, but resiging A-rod plus the fact that their pitching is in disarray; might this help them stay away from Hunter and allow us to be more in the ballpark?? I guess If I could only keep one, I'd keep Santanna. Hopefully, we can keep him. His stats for his career put him with Pedro and the like. K/9 BB/9 etc. hunter is probably the best cf in the game, but a avg to above hitting OF.

Here are some more interesting details about Ichiro's contract from the AP:

NEW YORK (AP) - The Seattle Mariners will be paying Ichiro Suzuki for at least a quarter century.

The All-Star outfielder's new contract extension calls for the team to defer $25 million of the $90 million he is owed, money that the team will not have to fully pay until at least 2032.

Suzuki, MVP of last week's All-Star game, gets a $5 million signing bonus and annual salaries of $17 million from 2008-12 under the terms of last Friday's deal.

Seattle will pay $12 million in salary each year and defer $5 million per season at 5.5 percent interest. Suzuki, who turns 33 in October, will receive the money in annual installments each Jan. 30 starting with the year after his retirement from the major leagues.

Because of the deferred money, the average annual value of the contract is discounted to $16.1 million under the provisions of baseball's collective bargaining agreement.

In addition, he gets a housing allowance of $32,000 next year, an increase of $1,000 from this season, and the amount will rise by $1,000 each year. He also will be provided with either a new jeep or Mercedes SUV by the team, which also gives him four first-class round trip tickets from Japan each year for his family. Provisions for the Mariners to give him a personal trainer and an interpreter were continued.

Wow, deferring salaries until after the player is retired? I hope this doesn't set a precedent for future negotiations by other teams. It could lead to even more bloated salaries.

You wouldn't think the league would allow that type of salary. So would this 5 mil a year after Ichiro retires count against the cap all of those years?

I say give him a reasonable offer that the Twins can afford. If he leaves for more money then let him go. He's decent, but not worth breaking the bank. It seems like he hits alot on solo HR's when the game is already lost and strikes out with guys on base when we're down by 1 run. I'd miss watching his outfielding effort though.

• 2 weeks later...

why not trade him now and get something in return in case they can't sign him in the offseason. trading him now doesn't mean that they can't try to resign him for next year. I suppose you have to deal with the typical professional athlete pride issue, but if presented to him that hey, we are going to give you a chance to play for a playoff contending team for the rest of this season but we are still planning to give you our best offer that we can once the season is done, and by accepting this, if you come back next year, you will have helped us add to our talent for next year.

I've been thinking about the whole Torii Hunter situation myself and here are my conclusion is they have to do something NOW either way. If they plan on keeping him around get the contract offer out there and get him signed. If they plan on not keeping him around either because they want to go another direction or because they simply think they can't afford him, then we need to trade him to a contender and get something in return. My gosh, the front office must have some type of clue as to what they are going to do with Hunter at the end of the season. My guess, is if they wait around long enough Hunter will leave anyways. We need to be more aggressive.